Foundation / Corporation
American Composers Forum (ACF)
09/16/18 4:30 PM CT
Awards of $3,000 to Minnesota composers of a variety of music genres, including electronic, jazz, experimental, traditional, and world music, to support quality creative talent and career potential. The award is intended to recognize emerging artists who are starting their careers.
- Quality of musical materials, showing singular artistic voice and vision.
- Nominated artist that take risks in their music making process.
- Significance of the award to the artist’s career.
- Potential for artistic growth.
- A record of seeking opportunities to advance their artistic career, which could lead the candidate to apply/participate in other ACF programs.
- The final pool will reflect a range of artists and projects, diverse in genre, gender, race, ethnicity, and geography.
The Minnesota Emerging Composer Awards (MECA) were created with the following goals in mind:
- To engage Minnesota-based makers of original music who otherwise might not apply to ACF programs.
- To provide these artists with funds to support a project that promises to have a significant boost to their career.
- To send a message to a broader section of local music creators that ACF is interested in their work, and to see how ACF might support their needs as artists.
- To encourage risk-taking and support the creation of quality new music.
GrantWatch ID#: 181861
The winners receive $3,000 to implement their project within the following year.
The awards are open to emerging artists who are just starting out in their career, up-and-coming, under-recognized, with no national reputation, few professional accolades, and no more than a handful of paid commissions. No formal musical training is required. Nominees must reside in Minnesota.
Currently-enrolled students may be nominated only if they have completed all coursework by the date of their nomination or if they have a track record of professional productions outside school work.
Arrangers, Lyricists, and Producers are ineligible. Bands and groups are ineligible unless all works are collaboratively created. Artists may create collaboratively but the work sample descriptions must make clear their individual role in the creative process.
Previous MECA winners may not be nominated again. Staff and board of the American Composers Forum and immediate family members are not eligible to nominate nor can they be nominated. ACF membership of the nominator and nominee is not required for nomination.
Staff and board of The Jerome Foundation, as well as immediate family members of foundation arts program staff are not eligible to nominate nor can they be nominated. Nominees who have applied for ACF program support in the past (as determined by ACF staff) are ineligible.
You may nominate anyone with whom you have personal experience, even if they are friends, family members, coworkers, or simply artists you admire. You may repeat the process and nominate more than one artist. Self-nominations are not accepted.
The nomination process will be open to the public Monday, July 30, 2018 – Sunday, September 16, 2018 11:59 PM (Central).
The results are announced in late November 2018.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.