Foundation / Corporation
Vermont Academy of Science and Engineering (VASE)
09/29/17 5:00 PM EDT
Grants ranging from $500 to $1,500 to Vermont nonprofits, teams, clubs, groups, and public agencies, including schools and municipalities, to support project-based technical learning and experimentation projects. These grants are intended to support initiatives that promote hands-on, project-based cooperative learning outside of a traditional school classroom setting.
The funded activity should lead to a substantive result – a machine, object, software code, participation in an event, etc. Where appropriate, grants may be made for an activity that could eventually lead to a commercial product. Projects should be primarily of a technical, engineering, or manufacturing nature, rather than artistic, performance, literary, etc.
Examples of projects that will be considered include:
- Robotics teams engaged in local, state, national, or international competitions.
- School-based but extracurricular activities such as robotics teams, technical challenges, or other special projects.
- Projects within “maker” organizations.
- Events, classes, or programs that support or enhance the above activities.
Uses of Funds:
Funds may be used for materials, supplies, software, tools, space costs, event fees, travel in connection with a supported activity, and/or general support of the organization or activity. Grants may include occasional stipends to instructors or mentors where appropriate, but the intent is not to support long-term salaries of teachers or other staff.
GrantWatch ID#: 182165
Grants will typically range from $500 to $1,500, but larger grants may be made where appropriate, if funds are available.
Grants may be made to teams, clubs, schools, or other nonprofit organizations engaged in project-based technical learning. Organizations must be located in Vermont and conduct its activities primarily within Vermont. Participants may be of any age. Grants will not be made to individuals.
Examples of eligible recipients include:
- Public entities, such as schools and municipalities.
- Incorporated 501(c)(3)organizations.
- Local chapters of national organizations, such as 4-H, Boy or Girl Scouts, etc.
- Unincorporated groups (such as robotics competition teams) are eligible, but these must have a “fiscal agent” that qualifies as tax exempt, or associate with some other eligible organization in order to receive funds.
Proposal Submission Instructions and Information:
- Proposals detailing grant requests will be accepted and reviewed annually, with the initial deadline of September 29, 2017, by 5:00 PM EDT.
- Proposals should be made electronically in the form of a single document in PDF format submitted as an email attachment.
- Please adhere to the Format for Grant Applications: http://www.uvm.edu/~vase/?Page=format.html.
- Applications will be evaluated according to the Evaluation Considerations for VASE HOST grants: http://www.uvm.edu/~vase/?Page=evaluation.html
- VASE expects to announce awards by early November 2017. Project participants will be invited to report on the project at the Spring 2018 VASE meeting (usually scheduled between mid-April and early June).
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Proposals should be submitted electronically as a single PDF file to: VASEHOSTGRANTS@gmail.com.
Please direct general inquiries about VASE to:
Dr. P. Frank Winkler, VASE President