Foundation / Corporation
Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS)
Awards to USA and territories libraries and museums to recognize outstanding contributions to community cohesion and wellbeing. This year's awards are intended to recognize programs that serve at-risk children and families, veterans and military families, the un- and under-employed, and youth confronting barriers to STEM-related employment.
Selected institutions demonstrate extraordinary approaches to serving their constituents; they exceed expected levels of community outreach. These organizations have established themselves as community anchor institutions. Recipient institutions are honored at an awards ceremony that is held in Washington, DC.
GrantWatch ID#: 182179
In addition to the medal, IMLS may grant a monetary award.
Who is eligible for a National Medal nomination?
- In general: Aquariums, Arboretums/Botanical Gardens, Art Museums, Children's/Youth Museums, General Museums, Historic Houses/Sites, History Museums, Natural History/Anthropology Museums, Nature Centers, Planetariums, Science/Technology Centers, Specialized Museums, and Zoos may be nominated for the National Medal for Museum Service if they: are either a unit of State or local government or a private nonprofit organization that has tax-exempt status under the Internal Revenue Code;
- Are located in one of the 50 States of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau; and
- Qualify as a museum that, using a professional staff, is organized on a permanent basis for essentially educational or aesthetic purposes; owns or uses tangible objects, either animate or inanimate; cares for these objects; and exhibits these objects to the general public on a regular basis through facilities that it owns or operates.
A public or private nonprofit agency which is responsible for the operation of a museum may apply on behalf of the museum.
- Academic and Research Libraries/Archives, Digital Libraries, Library Associations, Library Consortia, Public Libraries, Research Libraries/Archives that make information available to the public and that are not an integral part of an institution of higher learning, Public School Libraries, Tribal Libraries, and Private or Special Libraries that are considered libraries as determined by the State in which they are located, may be nominated for the National Medal for Library Service. They should also be: either a unit of State or local government or be a private nonprofit organization that has tax-exempt status under the Internal Revenue Code; and
- Located in one of the 50 States of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau.
Previous library or museum medal recipients may reapply after ten years.
The Nomination Form and letters of support should be sent by October 2, 2017.
Anyone, including the institution's employees, board members, members of its community, and elected officials, may nominate a museum or library for this honor. If an institution self-nominates, it simply needs to submit the nomination materials to IMLS by the deadline. If someone outside of the institution wants to make a nomination, they should notify the museum or library directly and ask them to complete and submit the nomination form in advance of the deadline.
The recipients of the National Medals are usually announced in the spring. Recipient institutions are honored at an awards ceremony that is held in Washington, DC.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
The Nomination Form and letters of support should be submitted to this email address: email@example.com
Alternatively, nominations may be mailed and postmarked by October 2, 2017, to this address:
The National Medal for Museum and Library Service
Office of the Director
Institute of Museum and Library Services
955 L'Enfant Plaza North, SW, Suite 4000
Washington, DC 20024-2135
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)