Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) - Division of Solid Waste Management
10/01/18 4:30 PM CDT
Grants to Tennessee counties to establish new or upgrade existing convenience centers for solid waste and recycling management. Funds may be used for site development, land purchase, equipment purchase, operating manuals, and public education.
Priority is given to the following:
- Applicants that are replacing and eliminating unmanned county collection systems (“Green Boxes”).
- Applicants that are establishing a new convenience center that provides access to an underserved area or applicants that do not meet the minimum level of service for the number of convenience centers under Rule 0400-11-01-.10 (2).
- Applicants that apply for a used automotive fluids grant for proposed convenience centers.
Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Land, paving, fencing, shelters for attendants, power connection, containers and basic equipment including, but not limited to, compactors, receivers, and identified collection containers
- Developing and printing of operating manuals
- Public education materials that promote waste reduction including signage, “how-to recycle” pamphlets, and operational signage needed for center operation.
If part of the grant project is the purchase of land, applicants must secure land prior to grant execution to be eligible. Applicants may apply for the Fiscal Year 2017 - 2018 Used Oil Grant, concurrently offered, which provides no match funding to assist in establishing used oil collection for do it yourselfers and augment the applied for convenience center systems.
Grant awards will be made based on the estimates included in the grant application and will not be increased. It is important that applicants research the equipment or facility they are seeking to purchase and obtain accurate price information prior to submitting their application. Only equipment or facility improvements identified in the application and awarded will be funded so proper planning and research should be done by applicant before submitting application.
GrantWatch ID#: 182235
Applicants may request up to $100,000 to build a new convenience center facility.
Tennessee counties needing grant assistance for the purpose of establishing or upgrading convenience centers required by T.C.A. § 68-211-851 may apply.
Applicants previously awarded a grant of this type from the Solid Waste Management Fund in the last two years that are currently under contract with open balances or who have failed to meet the obligations of additional Division of Solid Waste Management grant contracts in the last two years are ineligible.
Funds may not be used for regular operation expenses of a recurring nature.
Applications are being solicited between July 2nd and October 1st, 2018.
Submit the Application Online Before the Deadline Monday, October 1, 2018 by 4:30 p.m. CDT
See Supporting Documents below for a summary of the grant workshop that took place in July.
A match of 10%-50% is required as indicated in the Convenience Center Grant Match Requirement document found in the Budget and Attachments tab of the TDEC Online Grants System.
More about the Grant:
About the Online Grants System:
Application Video Tutorial:
TDEC Online Grant System FAQs:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Loretta.Harrington@tn.gov / Solid.Waste@tn.gov
Grants & Contracts Administration: