Foundation / Corporation
Whole Kids Foundation and FoodCorps
10/15/18 5:00 PM CT (3:00 PM PT, 4:00 PM MT, 6:00 PM ET)
Grants of $2,000 to USA and territories and Canada K-12 schools and nonprofit organizations to support new or existing educational gardens. Requests must be for an edible garden that incorporates growing vegetables, fruits, grains, or herbs. Priority will be given to projects that benefit schools in communities with limited resources. A limited portion of funding may be used for fees to attend a garden training program.
GrantWatch ID#: 182429
The Garden Grant program provides a $2,000 monetary grant.
Funds to attend a garden training must not exceed 40% or $800.
The Garden Grant program supports gardens at either a:
-501(c)(3) nonprofit working in partnership with a K-12 school
-501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
For K-12 Schools:
1. School garden must be an edible school garden (growing fruits, vegetables, herbs, grains, etc) and located on the grounds of a K-12 school (public, private or charter, elementary, middle or high)
2. Applicant must be a nonprofit K-12 school (public, private or charter, elementary, middle or high) or a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working in partnership with a K-12 school.
3. School must not have received a Whole Kids Foundation School Garden Grant previously.
1. Garden must be an edible educational garden (growing fruits, vegetables, herbs, grains, etc)
2. Applicant must be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Applicant may work with a fiscal sponsor, if needed.
3. Organization must engage at least 10 children in any grade range of K-12 at the garden.
4. Organization must not have received a Whole Kids Foundation Garden Grant previously for the same garden. Organization can apply on behalf other gardens and may have received other Whole Kids Foundation grants.
5. Applicant must have must have the participation and support of a specific partner organization from the community (such as another nonprofit, a farm, a local business, a Whole Foods store, or a garden club) that brings added support and sustainability to the initiative. The fiscal sponsor, if a nonprofit, may be the community partner for this grant.
Applicants must be located in the US (and territories) or Canada in order to be eligible to apply for a School or Organization Garden Grant. Schools, organizations, and garden projects based in other countries are not eligible at this time.
The focus of our Garden Grant Program is on programs that support any grades in the range of K-12 or primary and secondary. Therefore, the Foundation is not accepting applications from programs that are solely early education. If your school or organization includes both early education and older grades, then you are eligible to apply.
Funds may not be used for:
Attend a Garden Grant Application Process Webinar for more information about the garden grant program and application process.
The next conference will take place on October 4 at 4pm EST/3pm CST.
Watch the September 6th conference:
Register for the October 4 conference: https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/8671423089910109187
- Application Closed: October 15, 2018 at 6pm EST/5pm CST
- Review Period: Winter 2018
- Notification to All Applicants: February 15, 2019
Garden Resource Center:
Garden Grants Page:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon