Foundation / Corporation
Rhode Island Foundation
12/19/17 11:59 PM EST
Fellowships of up to $50,000 per year to Rhode Island individuals to develop innovative ideas and approaches that will significantly improve the quality of life for a large number of local residents. Funding is intended to encourage individual creativity and potential and stimulate ideas that can be implemented with tangible results.
The funding is for individual financial support and/or direct project costs. Proposed ideas must specifically benefit Rhode Islanders. Ideas must be implementable, not merely theoretical, and issues of sustainability will be addressed during the application process.
This Fellowship is built around the spirit of entrepreneurship and seeks to achieve community impact by (1) investing in an individual’s creativity and potential and (2) providing freedom to apply creative and fresh thinking to important challenges. Innovation should translate to new, novel, or re-energized approaches. Impact means tangible benefits for a significant number of Rhode Islanders, significant scale, and/or observable progress on significant and longstanding challenges.
The Foundation seeks Fellows who are bold in their thinking, eager to take initiative, willing to take risks, and capable of swift learning and iteration.
The judges will evaluate each proposal on the following criteria:
- The solution is a new, novel, or re-energized approach. It is not something that has been tried meaningfully in Rhode Island.
- The idea has the potential for results – tangible benefits for a significant number of Rhode Islanders and/or observable progress on significant and longstanding challenges.
- It addresses a “problem” or seizes an opportunity that is extremely important for Rhode Island.
- The applicant demonstrates a strong sense of entrepreneurship.
- The applicant presents a compelling plan that seems do-able.
- The resources requested would allow the applicant to produce real results.
- The Fellowship would provide a unique and important source of capital for this idea. In other words, there is no other funding easily available for this idea.
- The idea is inspiring. It would generate excitement within a broader community.
GrantWatch ID#: 182461
Up to three
Fellows will be awarded up to $50,000 annually for up to four years. In other words, you may request as much as $50,000 each year, $200,000 total.
Fellowships will last for up to four years.
Rhode Islanders aged 18 or older are eligible to apply. Recipients must commit to staying in Rhode Island for the four-year duration of the Fellowship. Elected officials, Rhode Island Foundation employees and board members, and their family members are ineligible to apply. The Fellowship is intended for individuals, not organizations.
A few notes on what is not eligible:
- The program is intended for an individual; teams are not eligible to apply.
- The program is not intended to support the work or programs of existing organizations.
- This is not a typical business plan competition; we are looking for community benefit, not just commercial success.
This is a two-stage application process.
The purpose of Phase 1 is to present an innovative idea that would have substantial impact with the Fellowship resources. Interested candidates must complete the application by 11:59 p.m. on December 19, 2017. The application asks for you to describe your idea very briefly.
The purpose of Phase 2 is to inspire the judges with your potential as a Fellow. Up to 12 finalists will be invited to interview with the judges. In advance of the interviews, finalists will be asked to submit a detailed workplan and budget that describes how they would proceed in implementing their idea. Finalists will be notified by early February.
Fellows will be announced in April 2018.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_5741?SA=SNA&FID=35015
Ricky Bogert, Grant Programs Officer
USA: Rhode Island