Foundation / Corporation
Award of $40,000 to an Alaska artist in recognition of his or her artistic accomplishments and creative contributions to the state of Alaska. Artists may work in any artistic discipline. This award will also recognize and acknowledge the artist’s potential for subsequent creative work.
Mature, established artists are eligible to receive the Distinguished Artist Award. Mature artists are those who have created an extensive independent body of work representing a life-long investigation and maturation of their personal creativity. They demonstrate a high aesthetic level of artistic ability with a strong consistency of expression over at least a 15 year professional arts career.
Selection criteria for awards include:
- The impact the artist has had on arts and culture in Alaska.
- The quality of artistic work over his/her decades-long career.
- The artist’s creative accomplishments and the promise of future artistic excellence.
GrantWatch ID#: 182522
The one-year award period begins June 1 and ends May 31.
Mature, established artists are eligible to receive the Distinguished Artist Award.
Artists may apply or be nominated for a Distinguished Artist Award if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Artist must be a full-time Alaska resident for the past five years at the time of the application/nomination and remain a resident for the duration of the grant period.
- Artist must have decades of experience creating art and contributing to advancement of arts and culture in Alaska.
- Artist must currently be producing work.
Artists are not eligible to apply or be nominated if they are:
- A current or prior board member, committee member, staff member, current panelist, or member of their immediate families.
- Individuals whose work or project is primarily of a research, scholarly, or commercial nature.
The nomination period is open from October 1 to December 15.
The Foundation welcomes public nominations of artists who meet the Distinguished Artist Award criteria.
Artists can nominate themselves. An application package from the artist is not necessary to receive this award. Please complete and submit the nomination form by December 15.
Rasmuson Foundation assembles an Alaska-based panel of artists and arts experts to assist in the selection process. Decisions are final and are not subject to appeal. The Distinguished Artist is announced at a public celebration usually held in May.
Individual Artist Award recipients will sign a grant agreement before receipt of the funds. At the end of the award period, awardees submit a short narrative describing what they have accomplished and its importance to their artistic and career development.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Nominate a Distinguished Artist: http://www.rasmuson.org/grants/individual-artist-awards/distinguished-artist-nomination/
Please contact the Foundation if you have any questions: (907) 297-2700; (877) 366-2700 toll-free in Alaska; or email Sharity Sommer at email@example.com.
Additional Staff Contact:
Jeff Baird, Program Officer