Foundation / Corporation
Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF)
01/16/18 4:00 PM EST Online Receipt
Awards of $60,000 to USA and Canada minority postdoctoral fellows involved in biomedical and medical research for professional development and enrichment activities. A qualified mentor must submit a letter of nomination by the deadline. The primary goal of the award is to substantially support the postdoctoral training and experience of underrepresented minority junior scientists.
Funds will be provided to support the following enrichment activities:
1. Activities for the postdoctoral fellow to enhance research productivity, e.g. workshops, courses, travel, collaborations, and training in new techniques.
2. Activities for the postdoctoral mentor to increase the mentoring of PDEP fellows in university-based programs:
- Career guidance of the underrepresented minority postdoctoral fellow
- Research guidance that increases the productivity of the PDEP fellow
- Attendance at one annual meeting of mentors hosted by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF)
3. Participation in a peer network system of underrepresented minority postdoctoral scholars
Award recipients must commit 75% of their time to research. The award is under the control of the award recipient and may be used flexibly for career development activities as outlined below.
Year one: $20,000 will be granted to support enrichment activities of the postdoctoral fellow ($10,000 for research supplies or equipment uniquely required to enhance the postdoctoral fellow’s research and $10,000 for education and training, including for mentors in the research lab where the postdoctoral fellow is assigned.)
Year two: $20,000 (same allocation as year one)
Year three: $20,000 will be granted to help the postdoctoral fellow advance research efforts towards the professoriate. The funds must be used to develop independent, innovative areas of research.
Qualifications of PDEP Applicant:
PDEP fellows with strong Ph.D. achievement and actively conducting research in the biomedical and medical areas.
Characteristics of Proposed Mentor:
- Capacity, track record, and commitment to advancing the careers of young scientists
- Willingness to participate in workshops to understand expectations of the award and a commitment to its goals (see Eligibility and Terms of the Award)
- Publications, training, and research background Characteristics of Proposed Research Laboratory
- Appropriateness of facilities including laboratory, classroom, and residential spaces where the PDEP fellow is assigned
- Clear indication of adequate equipment and facilities for work being proposed for PDEP fellows. If additional equipment is being requested, an explanation of why the equipment is required.
GrantWatch ID#: 182682
Generally, up to 16 Postdoctoral Enrichment Program (PDEP) awards will be made annually.
Year One: $20,000
Year Two: $20,000
Year Three: $20,000
The award program provides a total of $60,000 over three years (September 1, 2018 - August 30, 2021). Funding for the postdoc must have been secured and the position must begin on or before the award commencement date.
Individual underrepresented minority postdoctoral fellows conducting biomedical or medical research are eligible to apply. The program targets postdoctoral fellows with Ph.D.s in the biomedical or medical sciences. Applicants with M.D. degrees who have secured a postdoctoral research appointment beyond clinical fellowship will be considered for this program. DDS, DVM, and PharmD candidates may be eligible, but should contact BWF prior to applying.
The PDEP award can only be made to degree-granting institutions in the U.S. or Canada. Institutional Internal Revenue Service determination letter of non-profit status may be requested by BWF staff if said letter is not on file in the database.
Applicants for the Postdoctoral Enrichment Award:
- Must have no more than 36 months of postdoctoral research experience (in a research laboratory) at the time of application and not be more than 5 years from his/her Ph.D.
- Must be nominated by a qualified mentor at the degree-granting institution (an institution includes its affiliated graduate and medical schools, hospitals, and research institutions) where the applicant will conduct the postdoctoral/fellowship training. Applications must be approved by an official responsible for sponsored programs (generally from the grants office, office of research, or office of sponsored programs) at the degree-granting institution
- Must have secured a postdoctoral position with funding (including support by the mentor’s existing research grants) at a degree-granting institution in the United States or Canada and must begin the postdoctoral position on or by the designated award commencement date
- Must be underrepresented minorities (i.e. American Indian or Alaska Native, Black or African American, Hispanic, or Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander)
- Must be citizens of the United States or Canada (at the time of application)
- Must devote at least 75% of time to research
- May be individual underrepresented minority postdoctoral fellows conducting biomedical or medical research
- May be applicants with M.D. degrees who have secured a postdoctoral research appointment beyond clinical fellowship.
- May be DDS, DVM, and PharmD candidates, but should contact BWF prior to applying.
- A person with more than 36 months of postdoctoral experience (in a research laboratory) at the time of application or with more than five years from his/her Ph.D. is not eligible for this award.
- Proposals in health services research or involving large-scale clinical trials are ineligible.
- Indirect costs may not be charged against the awards.
- This award cannot be used to provide the postdoctoral fellow’s salary or to purchase reagents or equipment commonly found in the mentor’s laboratory.
- October 16, 2017 Grant Application portal available
- January 16, 2018 Online Application Deadline by 4:00 PM ET
- September 1, 2018 Award Start Date
- August 30, 2021 Award End Date
Online application deadline is January 16, 2018 by 4:00 PM EST. Paper applications will not be accepted. The awards will begin on September 1, 2018.
An Eligibility Quiz has been created to assist you in determining whether or not you are eligible to apply for this award. Successful completion of the quiz will take you directly to the application. You will be notified upon conclusion of the quiz if you are eligible to continue the application and apply for the grant.
A qualified mentor is required for the PDEP. Mentors are expected to provide a letter of nomination with the proposal and the mentor’s commitment to the applicant’s career is important.
Letters must be uploaded as a PDF file prior to 4 p.m., January 16, 2018 deadline (ET). It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure the letter is submitted on time.
Awards are made to the degree-granting institutions on behalf of the award recipients.
Terms of Grant/Use of Funds:
Forms and resources: https://www.bwfund.org/grant-programs/diversity-science/underrepresented-minority-postdoctoral-enrichment/forms-and-0
Application Instructions to Request Mentor Letter:
Mentor Instructions to Upload Letter:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online Eligibility Quiz and Application Portal:
Access Online Saved Proposal:
Questions regarding eligibility:
Alfred M. Mays, Program Officer
Questions regarding Mentor Letter:
Melanie Scott, Sr. Program Associate
Kendra Tucker, Sr. Program Assistant
Burroughs Wellcome Fund
21 T. W. Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon