Foundation / Corporation
Public Interest Law Foundation (PILF)
Grants of $10,000 to USA nonprofit organizations for law-related projects, programs, or services that benefit the public, with special consideration given to those that assist underrepresented communities. Proposals should be well-conceived, innovative, and practical to implement.
Special consideration will be given to projects:
- Addressing issues or aiding groups that currently receive inadequate attention underrepresentation by individuals, organizations, or government bodies;
- That are discrete and will be completed on a measurable time-frame; and/or
- Proposed by graduates of Columbia Law School.
The Foundation has particular interest in funding innovative projects that would not be undertaken without a grant and in helping established projects that suffer from a funding shortage.
GrantWatch ID#: 183064
This year, the Foundation plans to award $10,000 grants.
All organizations performing work that benefits the public interest through the mechanism of law are eligible.
If your organization or the organization with which your project will be affiliated does not have 501(c)(3) status, describe what steps you have taken or will take to acquire such status.
A slight preference is given to projects that involve Columbia law students or alumni or that have the potential to include such involvement in the future. However, this is certainly not a prerequisite, and a significant portion of funding goes to organizations that do not fit this criteria.
PILF does not fund:
- Organizations seeking general funding for standard operating expenses;
- Private practice on behalf of particular clients or any other profit-seeking activity; or
- Activities that replicate recognized governmental functions or which duplicate projects that are principally supported by governmental and other public funds.
Applications must be received by the end of Friday, March 16, 2018.
The Foundation will confirm receipt of your application after it is received.
PILF intends to notify grant recipients by the end of April 2018.
Grants will be disbursed quarterly.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
All applications must be emailed to PILF.email@example.com in PDF format.
For questions, contact Joe Teresi, PILF VP of Community grants, at the email address above.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming