Foundation / Corporation
Lancaster County Community Foundation - BB&T Economic Growth Fund
Grants to Pennsylvania nonprofits to improve the economic health and standard of living for residents of Lancaster County. A letter of intent is mandatory and accepted online until July 27. Funding is intended to attract and incubate businesses, grow local industry, and create sustainable and thriving wage jobs.
1. Economic Growth Solution: Describe how the project improves the standard of living and economic health of Lancaster County.
2. Theory of Change: Outline clear, logical depiction of why this project will improve the standard of living and economic health of Lancaster County.
3. Implementation Plan: Describe logical and well-thought out plan to implement the project or program. Outline clear plan for how dollars will be leveraged at least 1:1.
4. Organizational Capacity: Demonstrate the organization’s capacity to successfully implement the proposed project or steps the organization will take to increase their organizational capacity to be successful.
5. Measurable Results: Outline a plan to measure the outcomes/results of the project including indicators such as:
a. Job retention and creation of sustainable/thriving wage jobs; percentage of at risk jobs retained, mean hourly wage of jobs created, percentage of sustainable/thriving wage jobs created
b. Training and mentorship; percentage of participants who opened, expanded or improved their enterprise, percentage who reach business goal, increase sales/profits, job creation or retention within 12 months
c. Leveraging funds; ratio of outside funds leveraged through grant investment
d. Building occupancy and vacancy rates; rates of vacancy and occupancy for office space, retail, etc.
e. Job-to-resident ratio; ratio of jobs to employed residents
f. New businesses and business start-ups; new businesses as a percentage of all businesses in city/county
g. Asset-building and wealth creation; unemployment rate, residents below the poverty level by location and race/ethnicity, median household income, percentage of owner-occupied and renter-occupied households
6. Community Connections: Identify potential collaborations, community partners, and/or sources of matching dollars.
7. Adaptability: Identify how the organization will identify project challenges and adapt along the way.
8. Next Steps: Describe plan for successfully sustaining the program beyond the grant period
GrantWatch ID#: 183519
Grants range from $100,000 to $1,000,000.
Funding period is generally one to two years.
1. Demonstrate that the program/project will benefit residents of Lancaster County
2. Current 501(C)(3) designation from the IRS
3. Registered with the Pennsylvania Bureau of Charitable Organizations (BCO) unless otherwise exempt per the Solicitation of Fund for Charitable Purposes Act
4. Current filing of the IRS Form 990 (unless exempt)
5. Audited or Reviewed Financial Statement by an independent CPA firm within the last 12 months
6. In good standing with all existing awards and contracts with the Lancaster County Community Foundation
7. Current on payroll taxes
Please note the Community Foundation will not typically fund:
- Creation of new organization
- Capital campaigns/capital costs (equipment, building costs, maintenance)
- Political campaigns
- Expenses incurred before the grant is awarded
- Cemetery associations
- Religious causes that further a specific belief/agenda
Letters of intent are accepted from January 12, 2018 to July 27, 2018. Letters of intent (LOI) will be reviewed only twice in 2018. A LOI is required before an invitation to submit a full application is offered.
LOI Deadline: March 28, 2018
Invitation to Apply: May 15, 2018
Application Due: June 29, 2018
Status Update: August 15, 2018
LOI Deadline: July 27, 2018
Invitation to Apply: September 12, 2108
Application Due: October 22, 2108
Status Update: November 15, 2018
There is an expectation that grant dollars will be leveraged at least on a 1:1 basis by other sources of funding.
Grant Application Video Tutorial:
Resources for applicants can be found here:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit your letter of intent online here:
Lancaster County Community Foundation
24 W King ST, Suite 201
Lancaster, PA 17603
717 397 1629
USA: Pennsylvania: Lancaster County