Foundation / Corporation
The Alaska Community Foundation (ACF) and GCI
06/26/19 5:00 PM AKST
Grants of up to $20,000 to Alaska nonprofits, tribes, schools, churches, and government agencies for programs and projects that lower suicide rates. Preference will be given to projects that are located in or reach rural communities in Alaska (defined as outside of Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks). Funding is intended to reduce the rates of suicide in the state and promote mental wellness through strengthened community and personal connections. Organizations seeking project or operational support are encouraged to apply.
Preference will be given to activities that will:
(1) Result in long-term change by creating family, school, and community support systems
(2) Help grow or support programs that have already demonstrated success in Alaska or in small communities in the Lower 48
(3) Support programs that have been embraced and that will be sustained by the community
(4) Support work that is happening on multiple levels including prevention, intervention, and crisis response
(5) Conceived or managed by local entities or by and entity that demonstrates a willingness to work with the local community or be advised and/or guided by local planning
(6) Reflects Alaska cultural considerations
Preference will be given to projects that:
(1) Empower Alaskans to work together to promote community wellness;
(2) Demonstrate measurable results, accountability, cultural sensitivity, and unify communities;
(3) Will impact communities that might not have easy access to suicide prevention support programs and
(4) Focus on at least one of the following areas as a way to decrease suicide in Alaska:
- Addressing generational trauma
- Veteran connectedness
- Means restriction / Gun safety
- Increased connectivity to treatment services
- Youth coalitions
- Primary prevention
- Support for those already doing this work in communities
- Building on past successes
- Support of needs assessments
- Community mobilization
- High-risk populations
GrantWatch ID#: 183587
Grant requests may be for up to $20,000; typical awards will range from $5,000 – $10,000.
All awarded projects must be completed within one calendar year from the date grant funds are received.
Eligible applicants include:
- 501(c)(3) nonprofit or equivalent organizations located in the state of Alaska. Equivalent organizations may include tribes, schools, churches, local government agencies and programs.
Ineligible applicants include:
- For profit, 501(c)(4) or (c)(6) organizations;
- Non-Alaska based organizations; and
- state or federal government agencies.
Ineligible projects include:
- Religious indoctrination or other religious activities;
- Endowment building;
- Deficit financing;
- Electioneering and activities of political nature;
- Sponsorships for special events;
- Direct fundraising, including hiring a grant writer;
- Reimbursement of pre-award costs;
- Purchase of real property;
- Activities that have the potential to support terrorism;
- Any proposals that discriminate as to race, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, creed or ethnicity; and personnel costs.
Exceptions: In selected cases, projects undertaken by organizations that normally fall outside the above guidelines may be able to receive funding. Examples include: religious organizations whose proposal impacts the broader community; or units of government whose proposal extends beyond the traditional governmental functions and impacts the broader community.
The deadline for the application will be Wednesday, June 26, 2019, at 5:00 pm.
To best position your application for success, applicants are highly encouraged to speak with ACF staff ahead of time to discuss their project and to submit a draft proposal for review by ACF staff. Drafts reviews are available up to Friday, June 21. Please contact ACF Programs and Grants staff via email.
For the Application Tutorial:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
All applications must be submitted online:
Contact ACF with any questions:
The Alaska Community Foundation
3201 C Street, Suite 110
Anchorage, AK 99503