Foundation / Corporation
The Spartanburg County Foundation
06/13/18 5:00 PM
Matching grants of $25,000, $50,000, or $75,000 to Spartanburg County, South Carolina nonprofit organizations to establish endowment funds. Endowment funds established through this opportunity are considered long-term investments to develop capacity and ensure the future financial health and stability of the recipients.
During the Endowment Challenge, the Foundation will offer 1:1 matching grants. Each matching dollar raised will leverage one grant dollar from the Foundation. Grant recipients will have 18 months from the date of the award to raise the full match. Grant dollars will be transferred into the endowment fund once the match has been met.
The agency endowment fund will be a permanent fund at The Spartanburg County Foundation and follow the Foundation’s Investment and Spending Policies. Each year, the Foundation’s Investment Advisory Committee and Board of Trustees review the Spending Policy.
GrantWatch ID#: 183662
The Foundation will offer 1:1 matching grants of either $25,000; $50,000; or $75,000.
Grant recipients will have 18 months from the date of the award to raise the full match.
The Spartanburg County Foundation will consider only those organizations and institutions that are recognized as 501(c)(3) non-profit entities providing services to the residents of Spartanburg County, South Carolina.
By meeting these criteria, certain institutions and organizations located outside of Spartanburg County may be eligible for funding; however, funding is restricted to benefit Spartanburg County only. Organizations that serve multiple counties must clearly show that the funds will remain in Spartanburg County.
Please note that The Spartanburg County Foundation does not provide funding for:
- Lobbying activities, political organizations, or candidates for public offices.
- Individual projects.
- Research that is of a non-community nature or that does not have promise of near term benefits to the citizens of Spartanburg County.
- Debt reductions, deficits, or previous obligations.
- Retroactive expenses/activities.
- Religious organizations for sectarian purposes.
The Foundation will consider proposals from faith-based organizations; however, endowment funding will be restricted to nonsectarian purposes.
Grant application timeline:
- Thursday, May 10, 2018: Announce Endowment Challenge and begin accepting proposals
- Wednesday, June 13, 2018, by 5:00 PM: Proposals due
- Tuesday, September 25 – Friday, September 28, 2018: Awards notification
- November 2018: Public announcement of Endowment Challenge grantees
In order for dollars to be eligible for the 1:1 match:
- Dollars must be collected after the grant award date and be deposited into the fund established at The Spartanburg County Foundation.
- Dollars must be new cash (rather than cash on hand or in other reserve accounts). For example, an organization cannot close a savings account at a bank and transfer the cash into a fund at the Foundation to meet the match.
Grant dollars will be transferred into the endowment fund once the match has been met.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://scf.egrant.net/login.aspx?PIID=147&OID=118
For questions regarding the grant cycle, please contact Tara Weese, director of grants and initiatives, at email@example.com or (864)582.0138.
For questions regarding the online application portal, please contact Ashley Whitt, program specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (864)582.0138.
USA: South Carolina: Spartanburg County