Foundation / Corporation
Grants ranging from $500 to $5,000 to Illinois nonprofit and government organizations to restore and preserve outdoor World War I memorials and monuments. Eligible projects are those that demonstrate the need for restorative and conservation work in order to recover their original quality and appearance.
Eligible scopes of work can include, but are not limited to, the following resource treatments:
- Replacement of Documented Missing Elements
- Replacement of Original Organic Landscape Elements
- Relocation Out of Harm’s Way of Subject Monument
GrantWatch ID#: 183797
Grants range from $500—$5,000.
Applicants must be not-for-profit organizations or governmental bodies. Landmarks Illinois, in exceptional circumstances, can determine other organizations or individuals to be eligible for fiscal support if it finds:
1. There is no other practical means of benefiting the eligible resource in lieu of granting funds to the applicant;
2. The public benefit of preserving the eligible resource substantially outweighs the benefits to the applicant; and
3. An exhaustive effort will be undertaken to protect the public benefit of the preservation grant after it is made.
- Applicants must demonstrate perpetual proprietorship, or have sufficient legal control of the eligible resource to permit successful completion of the proposed scope of work.
- Applicants must possess the capacity to manage the grant prudently and have the expertise to execute the proposed project in accordance with its approved conditions.
Qualifying monuments/memorials need not be listed in the National Register of Historic Places or otherwise landmarked.
A project must be for the purpose of preserving all or part of an Illinois World War I monument or memorial. Ordinary expenses of owning or maintaining this type of resource will not be considered preservation expenses.
The Landmarks Illinois World War I Monument Preservation Grant Program is a short-term initiative. Grants will be awarded during 2017 and 2018 with the following application deadlines:
- May 15, 2017
- November 15, 2017
- May 15, 2018
- August 15, 2018
Please submit the application in digital format on a CD or jump drive (Please do not send via email).
Grants will be awarded on a matching basis. A match may be a direct dollar amount or, using volunteer labor or services, equal the value of the grant.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Please submit the application in digital format on a cd or jump drive (Please do not send via email):
Suzanne Germann, Director of Grants and Easements
30 N. Michigan Avenue, Ste. 2020
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 922-1742 extension 225