Foundation / Corporation
09/28/18 11:59 PM ET
Grants to USA and territories organizations for large-scale programs that help low-income adults age 50 and older stay connected to their communities and other individuals. Proposals may also include initiatives to support economic opportunity and end senior poverty, and should impact hundreds of thousands of adults.
AARP Foundation launches new solutions that equip low-income older adults with the skills and resources to help them connect and stay connected—to each other and to their communities.
The specific objective for this grant program is:
- Sustained improvement in social connectedness for 12 months for 55% of 500,000 low-income 50+ older adults served in 2020 as measured by the Duke Social Support Index.
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Investigating the viability of voice assisted technology to reduce or delay conditions of social isolation and its adverse health outcomes in adults aged 50+; and
- Increasing capabilities for seniors to discover, develop, strengthen, and repair personal relationships.
In addition to developing its own solutions, AARP Foundation works with external organizations that are positioned to scale evidence-based programs to increase social connectedness in older adults.
The purpose of this funding opportunity is to support programs that have been independently evaluated, with a preference for programs that demonstrated moderate to strong evidence of effectiveness.
GrantWatch ID#: 184035
This funding opportunity is intended for national or regional organizations with built-in distribution channels, such as affiliates, members, chapters or collaborative partnerships. AARP Foundation is seeking organizations that seek to serve hundreds of thousands of individuals in a cost-effective manner.
The following are not eligible for funding:
- Individual affiliates or chapters of national organizations;
- Grants for individuals;
- Debt retirement or operating deficits;
- Endowments or reserve funds;
- Political organizations or campaigns;
- Lobbying legislators or influencing elections;
- Sponsorship of fundraising events;
- Marketing endeavors and personal research;
- Organizations located outside the United States or its territories; or
- Indirect expenses unrelated to the project being funded.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis from July 2 to September 28, 2018. The final application deadline is September 28, 2018, 11:59 p.m. ET.
This funding opportunity requires a 1:1 dollar match (cash or in-kind) from one or more other funding sources. If you do not have matching funding for your requested grant amount, you must detail a plan for raising the matching funds in your application.
Eligible organizations are invited to submit an application that, besides general organizational information, contains a list of basic information about your program model, how it aligns with AARP Foundation’s mission and objectives, and your plans for scale.
These application submissions undergo a thorough review process, from which a limited number of organizations are selected as finalists that will be asked to answer clarification questions and participate in follow up (which may include video conferences or an on-site visit).
- July 2, 2018: Funding opportunity announced and application available here.
- July 1 – September 28, 2018: Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
- September 28, 2018: Final Application deadline by 11:59 p.m. ET
- October 2018: Clarification period (as needed)
- December 2018: Organization(s) informed about funding
- Date TBD: Project start date
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://aarpfoundation.foundationconnect.org/grantsmanager/Pages/V3/Portal/eligibilityquiz.aspx?OrgID=00Di0000000Zn46&UType=Individual&UserRT=012i00000006s3G&QuizID=a0Q5A00000Gr1Iw&RequestRT=01231000001AjXA&isDirect=True
Toll-free Nationwide: 1-800-775-6776
Toll-free TTY: 877-434-7598
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)