Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
05/13/19 4:00 PM
Grants ranging from $5,000 to $50,000 to Minnesota nonprofit organizations and government entities for programs to restore, enhance, and protect forests, wetlands, prairies, and habitat for game, wildlife, and fish. Eligible projects must take place in public waters or on public lands. The ECP program is for restoration and enhancement projects only (no acquisitions).
The CPL program is habitat-focused. All applications should identify the direct habitat benefit of the project. All projects must adhere to MS 97A.056.
Restoration and enhancement projects will only be funded on lands that are:
- Permanently protected by a conservation easement as defined in MN Statutes 84C.01;
- In public ownership; or
- In public waters as defined in MN Statutes, Section 103G.005, subdivision 15.
Lands acquired in fee title must be open to the public for hunting and fishing during all open seasons unless otherwise provided by law.
Expedited Conservation Projects (ECP) Activity List:
- Winter (thermal) cover
- Tree planting
- Promotion of natural regeneration
- Bud capping
- Rx burning within BMP prescription, including aerial support
- Establish new prairie/grassland
- Seed purchase of native species
- Rx burning within BMP prescription
- Mowing/herbicide for invasives control in recently established grassland/prairie
- Tree removal/woody encroachment management
- Interseeding of monoculture/low biodiversity sites
- Water level control structures
- Fish Barriers
- Upland vegetation enhancement
- Tile breaks/ditch blocks
Fish Game and Wildlife habitat:
- Brushland shearing
- Dam removal/modification
- In-stream habitat modification
- Trout stream restoration/habitat improvement
- Site prep for habitat enhancement
- All ECP activities from forest, prairie, wetland habitats
GrantWatch ID#: 184191
Grants are limited to a maximum award of $50,000 (minimum $5,000).
The grant period starts when the grant contract is “executed,” meaning all required signatures have been obtained, and typically lasts 3 to 3 ½ years. The end date is determined by the appropriation language. Projects funded with FY19 funds must be completed by June 30, 2022.
Nonprofit organizations and government entities are eligible for CPL funding. Private individuals and for-profit organizations may not apply. Partnerships are encouraged.
Indirect costs (overhead costs for basic operational functions such as lights, office rent, water, phone) are not eligible grant or match expenditures. Below are some common requests for funding that the CPL program will NOT fund with grant dollars or allow as match (unless specified). These requests will be removed from any application prior to review and may result in the rejection of the entire application.
- Work on project sites not identified in the Work Plan or approved by CPL staff.
- Preliminary engineering and design costs*. Grant funds may not be used to pay for initial engineering and design costs as this work must be mostly complete before requesting grant funds for a project. *These costs may be used for match only.
- Research, education, interpretive signs, or planning activities
- Capital Equipment including but not limited to vehicles, trailers, chainsaws, sprayers, etc.
- Acquisition of land that is owned by the state or a political subdivision of the state.
- Activities on conservation easements that are the responsibilities of landowners under the terms of the easement.
How to apply: https://webapps15.dnr.state.mn.us/cpl_grant_applications/authentication/login
Applications are open continuously through May 13, 2019, or until funds run out, whichever comes first. Completed applications will be pulled for review every two months.
Application and Funding Schedule:
September 17, 2018: ECP Round 1 Closes, 4:00 PM
October 26, 2018: Announce funded ECP applications
November 19, 2018: ECP Round 2 Closes, 4:00 PM
December 28, 2018: Announce funded ECP applications
January 14, 2019: ECP Round 3 Closes, 4:00 PM
February 22, 2019: Announce funded ECP applications
March 18, 2019: ECP Round 4 Closes, 4:00 PM
April 26, 2019: Announce funded ECP applications
May 13, 2019: ECP Round 5 Closes, 4:00 PM
June 21, 2019: Announce funded ECP applications
The Total project cost may not exceed $575,000.
This program requires a 10% match of non-state funds. The match may be cash or in-kind resources. Funds used for match for CPL grants cannot be used as match for any other state grant programs. Match funds must be documented and reportable, and are subject to audit.
Any projects requesting money for construction activities (water control structures, etc.) must have initial engineering and design plans completed for the project prior to application submission. These plans are necessary to provide an accurate cost estimate and fully developed scope of work.
Grantees will be paid on a reimbursement basis. Organizations with limited cash flow may request payment for services rendered upon approval from CPL staff. Advance payments may be provided for acquisitions if requested 30 days prior to the scheduled closing.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply Online: https://webapps15.dnr.state.mn.us/cpl_grant_applications
Jessica Lee, CPL Grant Program Coordinator
Kathy Varble, CPL Grant Specialist
Division of Fish and Wildlife
MN Department of Natural Resources
500 Lafayette Road, Box #20
Saint Paul, MN 55155-4020