New York City Department of Sanitation (DSNY) and Citizens Committee for New York City
03/15/19 5:00 PM
Grants of up to $1,000 to New York City K-12 public schools to develop teams to enhance the schools' sustainability. Teams must have at least five members. Preference will be given to recycling and waste-related projects, but can also include uniforms or t-shirts, giveaway items, and school gardens.
Projects may include building or expanding a school garden, enhancing a school recycling program, creating school sustainability events, purchasing eco-friendly giveaway items, and providing uniform/t-shirts for the Green Team. Also funded are printing and shipping costs, recycling bins, garden equipment and material, and trophies, prizes, and giveaways.
Schools are encouraged to patronize local businesses, use reusable or compostable items, and build or make items (e.g. tree guards or greenhouses) rather than purchase them.
GrantWatch ID#: 184439
Maximum grant awards are $1,000. However, the funder may choose to award partial grants for certain items in a grant application.
Projects must be completed by the end of the school year.
Applications are accepted from NYC Public Schools grades K-12.
Schools must have a Green Team, or be in the process of creating one.
Grants are not for:
- Individuals (including individual artists)
- For-profit projects
- Businesses (including businesses with non-profit projects)
- Direct service or social work projects (e.g., job trainings or mental health counseling)
- Fraternal and partisan organizations
- Religion-based initiatives
- Projects of staffed organizations
- Projects with admission or participation fees
The following items are not funded:
- Web hosting and development
- 501(c)(3) application fees
- Training fees
- Speaker honorariums
- Luxury items
- Audio and visual equipment
- Back-to-school items
- Block parties
- Computer equipment
Also not funded are existing school curricula (e.g., materials for an art class), long-standing programs (e.g., annual school play), and programs of staffed non-profits based in the school.
- Fall Green Team Mini-Grant Deadline: 5pm on Friday, November 16, 2018
- Spring Green Team Mini-Grant Deadline: 5pm on Friday, March 15, 2019
Teachers must submit applications and be the primary contact. Green teams can only be funded once per school year.
USA: New York City; New York