Foundation / Corporation
02/01/19 11:59 PM (PST)
Grants valued at $67,000 to USA and territories, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Mexico educational institutions for specially designed classrooms to promote active learning. Funding is intended to provide furniture, training, and learning environment evaluation measurement tools for classrooms serving up to 30 students in schools (grades 6-12), colleges, universities, libraries, and media centers. Eligible institutions are those that focus primarily on formal, instructor-led learning in a designated classroom.
Steelcase Education has a passion for understanding how teaching and learning best takes place and how smarter, active learning spaces can help. That is, therefore, the focus of Steelcase's research and innovation in furniture and tools for learning spaces to advance active learning. To that end, Steelcase Education is offering a grant for an active learning classroom. Each grant includes furniture, design review, installation, onsite training and a Learning Environment Evaluation measurement tool.
Steelcase Education partners with schools, colleges and universities to create effective, inspiring learning environments to meet the evolving needs of students and educators. Learning happens everywhere, and so the solutions span classrooms, libraries, cafés – and many spaces in between. Steelcase helps create active learning ecosystems that recognize the independencies between pedagogy, technology and space – and support and strengthen all three as an integrated whole.
Any change can be challenging – including the change from passive to active learning strategies. Because intructors play a pivotal role in leading this change, Steelcase offers onsite training to help them make the most of settings designed to support active learning. The training will take place prior to the beginning of classes in the new classroom and will be conducted at the school with additional online training support (i.e., videos, webinars, etc.). Any educator within the recipient institution may audit the training.
Grant recipients choose from four types of classrooms designed for up to 30 students each.
1. Active Classroom: Listening. Collaboration. Independent reading. With a variety of flexible furniture choices, this classroom invites students and instructors to adjust the environment to suit the flow of learning throughout a class period. Tables and chairs easily move to form different configurations or flip and stow out of the way for maximum agility.
2. Collaborative Classroom: Learning improves when students have an opportunity to work together and share. This classroom’s flexible settings support collaboration amongst groups of varying sizes. Modular, flexible furnishings combine in a variety of ways, giving collaborators a high degree of control over their interactions.
3. STEM Classroom: This varied, flexible setting is designed to facilitate the hands-on experimentation and problem solving that STEM projects demand. Tools and furnishings work together helping students create, ideate and build together.
4. Flexible Classroom: Learning needs vary by the person and the moment. This flexible classroom offers a wide range of shared group and individual spaces to support diverse learning needs. Students can find a space that works for them based on their task, preference and mood.
(For additional information and classroom features/specifications supported by the grant, see the Grant Proposal Guide listed in Supporting Documents below.)
Steelcase will evaluate and select proposals from institutions that best demonstrate these characteristics and attributes:
- Academic institutions that focus primarily on formal, instructor-led learning in designated classrooms
- Educational strategies of the institution that align with active learning philosophies
- Robust plans for completion of research as described in this guide
- Thoughtful and comprehensive plans to disseminate learnings over the two-year grant cycle
- Overall quality of the proposal (describing the anticipated impact an active learning space will have on the learning experience and ultimately student success)
GrantWatch ID#: 184590
Up to 16 grants are awarded per year.
Grants are valued at $67,000.
The grant program has a two-year grant award cycle. Grant recipients agree to provide sufficient dedicated space, participate in Steelcase training onsite at the recipient institution, and conduct and share research over the two-year period.
Eligible educational institutions are ones that focus primarily on formal, instructor-led learning in a designated classroom. Requirements are as follows:
- Classroom located in the United States, U.S. Territories, Puerto Rico, Canada or Mexico
- Grades 6-12 or within a college or university
- Up to 30 students
Libraries and media centers may also be considered for the grant. The space within the library or media center should focus primarily on formal, instructor-led learning.
Interested educational institutions with a classroom size that is smaller (or larger) than the one listed in the materials may still apply for the grant, as long as the square footage per student is maintained within the classroom. As an example – if the classroom is 910 square feet and the classroom requires 32 square feet per student, the applicant cannot have more than 28 students in the classroom to receive the grant.
Steelcase does not provide funds for:
- Projects related to health, sports or early childhood education
- Student projects
- Projects solely intended for the purposes of advocacy
A Grant Webinar entitled Smart Strategies for an Active Learning Center Grant will be held as follows:
Date and time: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 1:00 pm
Eastern Standard Time (New York, GMT-05:00)
Duration: 1 hour
Registration is required to join this event.
For information and registration:
The Deadline for applications is Feb 1 2019, 11:59 PM (PST).
Two-year grant award cycle:
- December 3, 2018 Opening date for submitting grant proposals
- Register for Grant Webinar (to take place on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 1 PM (EST))
- December 11, 2018 “Smart Strategies for an Active Learning Center Grant” webinar
- February 1, 2019 at 11:59 PM (PST) Closing date for submitting grant proposals
- March 22, 2019 Grant recipients announced
- April 26, 2019 Signed agreements received from all grant recipients
- May 31, 2019 Classroom design and specifications complete
- June 3, 2019 List of all instructors who will teach in room identified
- June 14, 2019 Classroom orders placed
- July – August 2019 Installation of Active Learning Centers
- July – September 2019 Training for grant recipients
- September 2019 – August 2021 Two-year cycle of communication with grant recipients, grant applicants, interested audiences
- June 26, 2020 First annual report submitted
- June 25, 2021 Second annual report submitte
For additional information on the Grant Webinar, please see Pre-Proposal Conference above.
To be considered for the award, Active Learning Center Grant applicants must propose a plan of research and dissemination. Grant recipients agree to provide sufficient dedicated space, participate in Steelcase training onsite at the recipient institution, and conduct and share research. (For further details on these requirements and for a list of research topics, see the Grant Proposal Guide listed in Supporting Documents below.)
The commitment of all parties must be a Three-Party Agreement, a document that establishes the grant conditions. Each awarded grantee and official institutional representative, Steelcase Education and the installing dealer are required to sign the agreement.
The Foundation welcomes multiple proposals from institutions. However, please be aware that if an institution is chosen, only one proposal will be awarded per grant cycle.
Steelcase Education representatives will visit the installed Active Learning Center at least two times during the two year term of the grant.
For questions related to the grant guidelines, submitting a grant proposal or other issues, please email the Foundation. A response will be made to all inquiries within two business days. In addition, all FAQs will be posted on Steelcase.com/activelearningcenter weekly.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal: https://steelcase.smapply.io/acc/l/?next=/prog/106213/apply/
For assistance or questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.