North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) - Division of Public Health (DPH) - Chronic Disease and Injury Section - Cancer Prevention and Control Branch
12/07/18 5:00 PM Receipt
Contracts starting at $30,000 to North Carolina agencies and nonprofits to provide cervical and breast cancer screening services to women ages 21 to 64. Applicants must submit a Notice of Intent prior to applying. Funding is specifically intended for the screening of underserved and minority women in the State.
- Reduce mortality and morbidity due to breast and cervical cancers in North Carolina (NC) women.
- Increase early detection of breast and cervical cancer among high-risk, under-served women.
- Expand community-based breast and cervical cancer screening and diagnostic services to low income, medically under-served women.
- Ensure access to medically appropriate services for women diagnosed with cancer or pre-cancer.
- Increase the number of screening tests and follow-up of abnormal findings of breast and cervical cancers.
- Improve the screening knowledge, attitudes and practices regarding breast and cervical cancers among the general population in NC.
- Improve the clinical screening detection practices for breast and cervical cancers.
- Ensure optimal screening and diagnostic follow-up procedures.
- Ensure appropriate medical treatment referral and support services.
- Monitor the distribution and determinants of the incidence and mortality of breast and cervical cancers.
A. Priority Population
1. The priority population for NC BCCCP mammography services is women who are low-income (below 250% of federal poverty level), who have not been screened in the last one to two years and:
a. For federally-funded services the priority population is between the ages of 50 and 64.
b. For state-funded services the priority population is between the ages of 40 and 64.
2. The priority population for NC BCCCP cervical cancer screening services is women who are low-income (below 250% of federal poverty level), who have never been screened and:
a. For federally-funded services the priority population is between the ages of 21 and 64.
b. For state-funded services the priority population is between the ages of 21 and 64.
3. While all segments of society are affected by cancer, there are certain populations that are disproportionately burdened by the increased risk of cancer or by the lack of adequate healthcare options for prevention and/or treatment. Special emphasis is placed on targeting efforts to achieve health equity by recruiting women disproportionately affected by cancer, including women of ethnic minorities.
Disproportionately burdened populations may be defined by sex, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, geographic location, or socioeconomic status. Among the populations that will benefit from this funding are those living in rural and frontier geographic areas; culturally isolated women; incarcerated or institutionalized women; medically underserved women; women from minorities defined by race, religion, ethnicity, or culture, including African Americans, Alaska Natives, American Indians, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders and Hispanics; lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender individuals; and women with low literacy, non-English speaking language barriers, and disabilities.
B. Eligible Population
1. Women 21-75 years of age with gross incomes that are
GrantWatch ID#: 184707
10 - 17
Each awarded contract will range from $30,000-$185,000 annually.
The Contractor shall have an annual contract with the NC Cancer Prevention and Control Branch to provide breast and cervical screening services to NC BCCCP eligible women for up to 36 months, from June 1, 2019 through May 31, 2022 (contingent upon successful completion of performance indicators and based on funding availability).
1. Public and private non-profit agencies may apply and must be able to provide medical services in a facility capable of performing physical examinations, clinical breast exams (CBEs) and cervical cancer screenings.
2. Applicants must have a referral resource for mammograms and follow-up diagnostic services. Applicants must demonstrate ability to reach women ages 40 and older for NC BCCCP breast services and financially eligible women from 21 years to 64 years for cervical cancer screening services.
3. Applicants must demonstrate ability to document patient records, enter patient data into the State’s integrated database and attend trainings as required.
4. Applicants must provide, by stated timeline guidance, patient tracking, patient navigation and follow-up of abnormal clinical breast examination, mammogram, and/or abnormal cervical cancer screening tests.
5. Applicants must designate a representative to oversee the clinical operations and serve as liaison (coordinator/navigator) with the NC BCCCP staff.
6. Applicants must be a licensed facility under the most recent Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) and Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA) regulations or contract with a licensed facility.
This RFA is targeting public and private non-profit agencies who shall offer the service to special populations (African Americans, Native Americans, Latinos) and the general public in accordance with CDC recommendations.
Local Health Departments are not eligible for this pool of funding.
NC BCCCP funds shall not be used to reimburse for treatment services. Payment to a sub-Contractor using NC BCCCP funds are limited to those screening and diagnostic follow-up services listed in the current NC BCCCP Services Fee Schedule.
All prospective applicants are encouraged to attend a Bidder's Teleconference on
November 9, 2018 from 10:00 am – 12:00pm via conference call at 1-877-873-8018
access code 2650829#.
Any agency that plans to submit an application shall submit a Notice of Intent no later than 5:00 PM on November 13, 2018 to Debi Nelson at the contact information below.
Agencies that do not submit a Notice of Intent by 5:00 pm on November 13, 2018 will be ineligible to apply to this RFA.
Written questions concerning this Request for Applications will be received by Debi Nelson at the contact information below until 5:00 PM on November 16, 2018.
As an addendum to this RFA, a summary of all questions and answers will be emailed to agencies and organizations by November 21, 2018 who were sent a copy of this Request for Applications and will be placed on https://bcccp.ncdhhs.gov.
All applications must be received by 5:00 PM on Friday, December 7, 2018.
All qualified applications will be evaluated, and award made to that agency or organization whose combination of budget and service capabilities are deemed to be in the best interest of the funding agency. The funding agency reserves the unqualified right to reject any or all offers if determined to be in its best interest. Successful applicants will be notified by January 10, 2019.
All grantees receiving federal funds must be actively registered in the federal government’s System for Award Management (SAM) database or be willing to complete the registration process in conjunction with the award (see www.sam.gov). To maintain an active SAM record, the record must be updated no less than annually.
Application Process Summary Dates:
- 11/01/2018: Request for Applications released to eligible applicants.
- 11/09/2018: Bidder’s Teleconference.
- 11/13/2018: Notice of Intent due by 5:00 PM.
- 11/16/2018: End of Q&A period. All questions due in writing by 5:00 PM.
- 11/21/2018: Answers to Questions released to all applicants as an addendum to the RFA.
- 12/07/2018: Applications due by 5:00 PM.
- 01/10/2019: Successful applicants will be notified.
- 06/01/2019: Contract begins.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Direct all inquiries concerning this RFA to: Tavonyia Thompson at Phone: (919) 707-5326 or email: Tavonyia.Thompson@dhhs.nc.gov.
Submit Notice of Intent and written questions concerning this Request for Applications to Debi Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be submitted by email only to Tavonyia.email@example.com as one consolidated PDF file including the signed Application Face Sheet.
USA: North Carolina