Foundation / Corporation
Keep Texas Beautiful (KTB) and Texas Department of Transportation
02/15/19 5:00 PM CT
Awards to Texas communities for beautification and environmental achievement benefiting local residents. Award recipients are recognized for exceptional efforts in the areas of Public Awareness, Community Improvement and Beautification, Education, Community Leadership and Coordination, Litter Prevention and Cleanup, Solid Waste Management, and Litter Law and Illegal Dumping Enforcement. Awards are intended to be used for landscaping projects along local rights-of-way.
Keep Texas Beautiful, in partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), awards the Governor's Community Achievement Awards to Texas communities for their outstanding overall efforts to keep their communities beautiful. The GCAA program is one of the most prestigious annual environmental awards in Texas.
This year, winning communities will receive landscaping awards from the Texas Department of Transportation, with the amount based on population size.
The goal of KTB in this funding program is to recognize communities who are working diligently to create and sustain comprehensive environmental and beautification programs. The application tracks what a community has done in a twelve month period (January 1 - December 31, 2018). Benefits of the program include the following:
- Applying for the GCAA creates a written record of the community's environmental achievements, helpful when applying for grants and state funding.
- Working toward the GCAA brings together various segments of the community, including schoolchildren, adult volunteers and law enforcement, creating a sense of community pride.
- Studies show that a focus on litter prevention and beautification has positive economic effects on the community, reducing crime rates, and increasing tourism and economic development.
- Winning a GCAA earns the community positive statewide recognition, prestige in the region and a plaque from TxDOT for proud display in a prominent place, such as City Hall.
GrantWatch ID#: 184922
Landscaping Award Amount by Population:
- Category 1 - 3,000: $90,000
- Category 2 - 3,001 - 5,500: $110,000
- Category 3 - 5,501 - 9,000: $130,000
- Category 4 - 9,001 - 15,000: $160,000
- Category 5 - 15,001 - 25,000: $180,000
- Category 6 - 25,001 - 40,000: $210,000
- Category 7 - 40,001 - 65,000: $250,000
- Category 8 - 65,001 - 90,000: $270,000
- Category 9 - 90,001 - 180,000: $290,000
- Category 10 - Over 180,000: $310,000
All Texas communities* are eligible to apply. A program may consist of more than one community, but one community may not have more than one GCAA entry. If cities and counties apply as separate communities, shared program information may not be duplicated.
*Community: A community is defined as a region or regions with shared or adjoining boundaries whose beautification and litter abatement programs are administered by common groups within that community’s geographic boundaries (i.e. local affiliates, city departments, garden clubs, schools, organizations etc.).
First place winners of the GCAA for the last three years are not eligible to win the first-place landscape award, or second or third place recognition, but will be judged for the Award of Excellence and Sustained Excellence.
Webinar - Preparing for GCAA, Part 2:
Time: 01/17/2019 8:30 PM
Duration: 60 mins
In this webinar, KTB staff will walk you through how to use the application software. You will hear from past winners Sommerville and Lake Jackson on their application techniques and the process of putting together a project after monies are awarded.
Even if this is your 1st or 15th time to apply, sit in to learn how to navigate the application website, get answers to your questions from previous winners, and find out what you have to look forward to after winning.
If your community is applying for a GCAA award in 2019, you can also go check out Part 1 of this 2 part series (which was conducted on December 7, 2018) to learn more about the program and the basics of GCAA. To access the recorded webinar, see Pre-Application Information below.
To register for the January 17th Webinar: https://join.onstreammedia.com/register/79040520/x8iraaq
For details about the January 17th Webinar:
The 2019 Awards will open January 1, 2019, at 12:00 AM, and will be due February 15, 2019, at 5:00 p.m. CT.
Applications are to be submitted through the Awards Portal.
A Webinar will be held on January 17, 2019, for all interested applicants. See Pre-Proposal Conference for details.
For questions or more information, contact Keep Texas Beautiful.
Pre-Recorded Webinar - Preparing to Apply for GCAA, Part 1: https://join.onstreammedia.com/play/79040520/25275-preparing-for-gcaa-part-1
About the GCAA program: https://ktb.secure-platform.com/a/organizations/main/home
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.