Foundation / Corporation
Massachusetts Cultural Council (MCC)
01/28/19 11:59 PM
Fellowships of $15,000 and awards of $1,000 to Massachusetts artists to support the creation of outstanding, innovative artwork. Funding is intended for new works in the areas of photography, music composition, and video and film. Evaluations are based on two review criteria: artistic quality and creative ability.
Submitted works should be completed 2015 or later. Works in progress are eligible.
- Film and Video: This category accepts original works of film and video. Narrative film, documentaries, experimental film, animation, and video art is welcome. Applicants must have primary artistic/creative control of work they submit.
- Music Composition: This category accepts original music and sound compositions. Chamber, choral, electronic, symphonic, popular, band, musical theater, opera, and jazz music are welcome, along with experimental and other sound compositions. Applicants must have primary artistic/creative control of work they submit.
- Photography: This category accepts original work in traditional and experimental photography. Work where photography and photographic technique is central, including digital or software manipulation of photographs is welcome.
GrantWatch ID#: 184977
30-35 Fellowships and 30-35 Finalist awards are given each year.
The Artist Fellowships are $15,000 and the Finalist awards are $1,000 (amounts pending approval by the governor-appointed Council).
You may apply for an Artist Fellowship if you are:
- 18 years or older.
- A legal resident of Massachusetts for the last two years. You should also be a legal resident when the grants are awarded. "Legal resident" is someone who meets the definition of a "full-year resident" in the Massachusetts tax code.
- An artist who creates original work. If you are an artist who interprets or translates the work of others, this isn't the program for you.
You are ineligible (for now) if you:
- Received a Mass Cultural Council Artist Fellowship in the past five years. This includes 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Finalists from these years may reapply.
- Are a high school or undergraduate student, or a graduate student in a related degree program (such as an MFA). You are encouraged to apply for an Artist Fellowship after you have completed your studies.
- Are a governor-appointed Mass Cultural Council member. Mass Cultural Council staff and family are likewise ineligible to apply.
- Online application available: December 15, 2018, 11:59 PM
- Application deadline: January 28, 2019, 11:59 PM
- Grants announced by June 2019
Final grant decisions will be announced by email and sent by February for the October deadline and by June for the January deadline. Results will also be published on Mass Cultural Council's web site.
The Fellowship review process is anonymous. Your name should not appear in your work sample(s) or Work Sample Description. Please include your name only where requested in the online application.
Select the discipline category that best fits your work. You may apply only once per category. You can, however, apply in more than one category. Please note that only one monetary grant is awarded to an artist in a fiscal year. Also, you must submit different work samples for each application.
If you create art as part of a collaborative team, you can apply together. Fill out a single application and provide resumes for each collaborator. A collaborator may reside out of state, as long as the primary applicant is a legal resident of Massachusetts.
Tips on applying: http://artsake.massculturalcouncil.org/tips-on-applying-for-an-artist-fellowship/
More about the program: http://www.massculturalcouncil.org/programs/artistfellows.asp
Application Instructions: http://www.massculturalcouncil.org/applications/fellowsapp.asp
Discipline Definitions: http://www.massculturalcouncil.org/applications/fellows_disc_definitions.asp
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For applications in Photography: https://www.callforentry.org/
For applications in Film and Video, and Music Composition: https://mass.gosmart.org/login.php
If you have any questions about which category suits your work best, please contact:
Kelly Bennett, Exhibitions Curator/Program Officer, Artist Fellowships
Dan Blask, Program Officer, Artist Fellowships
Mass Cultural Council
10 St. James Avenue, 3rd Floor
Boston, MA 02116-3803
Toll Free (in MA only): 800-232-0960