Foundation / Corporation
First Peoples’ Cultural Foundation (FPCF)
04/30/19 4:00 PM
Grants starting at $50,000 per year to British Columbia First Nations communities, governments, councils, and organizations to digitally archive their dialect or language. Funding is intended to support new or expand existing archives in an internationally accessible indigenous language platform. Indigenous communities that share a common language are encouraged to collaborate.
FirstVoices grants will fund projects for B.C. First Nations Languages that focus on multi-dialect collaborative archives and updates to existing archives. The purpose of these grants is to increase the number of communities represented in FirstVoices archives and support existing users to include more words, phrases, songs, and stories.
FirstVoices is a suite of web-based tools and services designed to support Indigenous people engaged in language archiving, language teaching and culture revitalization.
- Projects that support existing archives will add new words, phrases, songs and stories; add new information (such as dialect variations or literal translations) or multimedia (sound, images and video) to existing entries; and/or verify existing content.
- Projects that support new dialects will collaborate with existing archives to adapt entries to be representative of multiple dialects; add new dialect-specific entries, information (such as dialect variations or literal translations) or multimedia (sound, images and video) to existing entries.
Eligible expenses include:
- Project team wages (technicians, recorders, administrator, speakers, other)
- Honoraria (fluent speakers)
- Equipment (recording equipment, computer, etc.)
- Administration costs
GrantWatch ID#: 185482
Funding requests are up to $50,000 for 1 year and $100,000 for 2 years.
Projects that are funded in the 2019-2020 grant cycle must be completed by July 1, 2020.
Multi-year funding is available for projects that span one or two fiscal years:
Year 1 : July 31st, 2019 to July 31st, 2020
Year 2 : July 31st, 2020 to July 31st, 2021
Eligible to apply:
- B.C. First Nations Communities/Governments/Bands/Tribal Councils
- Aboriginal Cultural, Language, and Education Centres
- Urban Aboriginal Organizations
- Previous applicants may apply if all reporting on any previous funding from FPCC or FPCF is up to date.
- Individual applicants
- Public institutions (e.g. schools, universities)
- Committees, groups, task forces without an established governing body
- Previous projects funded by FPCC/FPCF where applicants have not completed all the required reporting
The deadline for applications is April 30th, 2019 at 4:00 pm. Hand-delivered and emailed applications are accepted on or before the deadline date.
Training for FirstVoices projects will be provided on an as-needed basis at no additional cost to the community. Training may be provided in the community or at a centralized location.
Applications that focus on community collaboration are encouraged.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For questions and to submit completed applications, contact:
Kyra Fortier, FirstVoices Coordinator/Trainer
Office: (250) 652-5952 (ext. 222)
Cell: (250) 882-8919
Canada: British Columbia