National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) Pacific Southwest Region (PSR)
04/12/19 - For priority consideration
Grants of up to $20,000 to Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, American Samoa, Guam, and Northern Mariana Islands libraries and other member organizations for projects that improve access to health information, promote health information literacy, and advance comprehension of medical research, including the NIH All of Us Research Program.
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) has partnered with the NIH All of Us Research Program to improve health literacy and consumer access to high-quality health information in communities throughout the United States, specifically by working with public libraries and other organizations. The mission of the All of Us Research Program is to speed up health research and medical breakthroughs by recruiting one million people to help researchers understand how health can be improved with individualized prevention, treatment, and care plans.
NNLM PSR seeks applications for projects that:
- Focus on improving health literacy and access to health information in underserved communities and underserved populations in biomedical research
- Provide information on topics such as precision medicine, genetics, or medical research, including awareness of the All of Us Research Program
- Provide training to public library staff and/or patrons on one or more National Library of Medicine resources, such as MedlinePlus, Genetics Home Reference, or ClinicalTrials.gov
- Provide engagement in health literacy initiatives and awareness of the All of Us Research Program
- Provide training or educational activities to support the capacity of public library staff to provide quality health information services and health programming within their community
- Improve understanding of and participation in research studies or clinical trials, including the All of Us Research Program, with diverse and underrepresented populations
- Encourage partnerships between public libraries and health sciences and hospital libraries, community- and faith-based organizations, volunteer organizations, and other organizations
- Improve digital literacy and access to technology among diverse and underrepresented populations.
Projects can include but are not limited to:
- Develop a mobile health literacy outreach program using easy-to-understand health information
- Develop a bilingual health information program for members in your community
- Create replicable program kits that could be piloted at public libraries and then shared via the Community Engagement Network
- Establish health information nooks in your library or community space that include print materials or computer kiosks, including materials related to precision medicine and All of Us topics
- Host a symposium or "unconference" that brings together staff from public and health sciences libraries around health programming and the All of Us Research Program
- Plan and conduct activities such as health fairs, exhibits, and demonstrations to increase awareness of National Library of Medicine information resources and the All of Us Research Program to a target population
- Build a series of programs based on existing popular health programs
- Develop a program focused on health-related citizen science activities and engagement around All of Us–related topics
- Create book clubs around All of Us–related topics
- Programming related to selected National Health Observances (link is external)
- Create an information program for caregivers and family members about Alzheimer’s disease (combine with a makerspace program to create fidget quilts using sewing machines and 3D printers)
- Other creative ideas incorporating All of Us and involving health information education and health literacy are encouraged.
GrantWatch ID#: 185497
Number of Awards Available: 5
Up to $20,000 per award.
The funding period is Tuesday, January 1, 2019 to Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit your application materials to email@example.com with the Subject "All of Us Community Engagement Award."
NNLM Pacific Southwest Region
12-077 Center for the Health Sciences
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1798
USA: Arizona; California; Hawaii; Nevada
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)