Foundation / Corporation
Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF)
05/20/19 11:59 PM ET
Grants to USA and Canada early-career scientists at nonprofit institutions and organizations for research related to pediatric oncology. Funding is intended to support original research projects that are not currently being funded. Applicants must demonstrate a future commitment to pediatric cancer investigation. In addition, institutional support for the career development of the investigator is a critical component of a successful application. Recipients will have the opportunity to speak at and attend Foundation events. A mentor is required and a career development plan must be included.
The Fund's mission is to raise money and awareness of childhood cancer causes, primarily for research into new treatments and cures, and to encourage and empower others, especially children, to get involved and make a difference for children with cancer. ‘A’ Award Program Goals are:
- To encourage the best and brightest early career independent researchers to build lifelong careers and become leaders in the field of pediatric cancer research.
- To advance research that will lead to new treatments and cures impacting children with cancer.
GrantWatch ID#: 185644
The Award amount is $800,000 over 4 years (no more than $200,000 in any given year).
Continued support for the second, third, fourth, and fifth year (if applicable) of funding is contingent upon a non-competitive review of the progress report.
The ‘A’ Award is a four-year grant with the possibility of a fifth year of funding.
Funds must be granted to nonprofit institutions or organizations operating in the United States or Canada. Researchers need not be U.S. citizens.
- Applicants must have an M.D., Ph.D. or dual M.D., Ph.D. (D.O., MBBS or equivalent) and be within 5 years of their first faculty appointment as an Assistant Professor. Associate and Full Professors are ineligible. If still at the Instructor level, the applicant must have a commitment from the Department Chair/Division Chief at the time of grant submission for an Assistant Professor position within one year of receiving the award.
- A minimum of 75% of the applicant’s time during the ‘A’ Award period must be allocated as protected time for all research activities. This percentage of time includes both ‘A’ activities and the applicant’s other research responsibilities.
- Applicants MAY have research grants from other funding sources during the ‘A’ Award period, but there must be clear documentation of mechanisms to avoid scientific and budgetary overlap.
- Investigators cannot have a K99/R00, or an R01 that has been funded, or recommended for funding (i.e. will be funded), at the time they apply.
- Applicants currently holding an ALSF Young Investigator Grant may apply. If the ‘A’ Award is given, it would supersede the YI grant if there is an overlap in the funding periods.
Investigators currently holding ALSF’s Innovation, Reach, Phase I/II Infrastructure, Bio-Therapeutics or Epidemiology grants or that are Center of Excellence Scholars are not eligible to apply for the 2019 ‘A’ Award.
- Indirect costs are not allowable expenses.
- Applications which do not fall into ALSF’s mission will not be considered.
- A’ Awards are not renewable. A 5th year of funding may be considered if the applicant meets eligibility requirements.
- Applications not following the guidelines and submission process or received after the due date will not be considered.
- Applications in psychosocial aspects of pediatric cancer and/or cancer control are ineligible for funding.
- ALSF funds cannot be used for human embryonic stem cell or non-human primate research.
- Application Due Date: May 20, 2019 (11:59 PM ET)
- Award Notification Date: October/November 2019
- Project Start/End Dates: February 1, 2020 / January 31, 2024
- Year 1 Progress Report: January 2, 2021 (estimate expenses through report period end)
- Year 2 Progress Report: January 2, 2022 (estimate expenses through report period end)
- Year 3 Progress Report: January 2, 2023 (estimate expenses through report period end)
- Final Report (including request for fifth year of funding, if applicable and investigator meets eligibility criteria): March 1, 2024 (actual expenses through report period end)
Information for recipients: https://www.alexslemonade.org/researchers-reviewers/recipients
Tips for applicants: https://www.alexslemonade.org/researchers-reviewers/applicants/tips
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://alsfapps.force.com/
Please contact Judy Oliver if you have questions
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer
111 Presidential Blvd., Suite 203
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 USA
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon