Foundation / Corporation
Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF)
05/20/19 11:59 PM ET
Grants to USA and Canada scientists at nonprofit institutions and organizations for research projects related to pediatric oncology. Funding is intended to support developmental therapeutic research studies that are in the final stages of pre-clinical testing. A successful application will be able to identify an unmet clinical need relevant to the care of pediatric patients with cancer.. Preference will be given to those research projects which, if funded, will likely result in the initiation of a clinical trial two to three years from the start of the project.
The purpose of the Reach Grant is to advance ALSF’s mission to find cures and better treatments for childhood cancers by providing support to move hypothesis-driven research into the clinic. Significant barriers exist that impede the translation of innovative and important ideas to the clinic. The Reach Grant seeks to remove one of these barriers by providing support for important pre-clinical projects that are necessary to move a study from the pre-clinical arena into a clinical trial. Thus, the goal of this award is to support selected late translational studies.
Proposal Evaluation Criteria
- Proposals must fall within the scope of Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation’s mission, focused on childhood cancers.
- Proposals will be evaluated based on their late-translational potential. Thus, screening projects, discovery projects, and early-translational projects are more appropriate for other ALSF funding mechanisms.
- Preliminary data are required. The proposal must be hypothesis driven and demonstrate feasibility.
- Explicit timeline and time-based deliverables for the proposed studies must be presented.
- A plan for clinical implementation of the concept and an overall clinical development plan for the therapeutic approach must be included with a projected timeline for completing the trial.
Eligible budget items include fringe, travel, supplies and small pieces of equipment (less than $5,000).
GrantWatch ID#: 185645
A maximum of $125,000 in total costs may be requested per year, up to $250,000 for two years.
Principal Investigator/Co-Investigator(s) salary may be requested up to 10% of grant per principal investigator (PI/co-PIs) per year (or $12,500). For other key personnel, please adhere to the NIH salary cap.
A maximum of two years of funding may be requested. Project Start/End dates: February 1, 2020/January 31, 2022
Funds will be granted to non-profit institutions or organizations operating in the United States or Canada. Primary Investigator(s) need not be U.S. citizens.
- Applicants may be Assistant, Associate or Professor level investigators who demonstrate a track record of discovery, investigation and external funding.
- Applicants must be M.D., D.O., Ph.D, or M.D./Ph.D.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated track record of pediatric cancer research with experience in translational research.
- Multiple investigator applications that bring together pairs or teams of researchers with complementary expertise are encouraged.
This grant does not fund clinical trial expenses. Proposals with a sole/primary focus on patients >21 years of age will not be considered.
ALSF does not pay indirect costs. This includes budgets for subcontracts or consultants.
- Current Reach Grant recipients are not eligible for funding of related work.
- ALSF funds cannot be used for research utilizing human embryonic stem cells or non-human primates.
- Awards are not renewable.
- One resubmission of an application previously reviewed by ALSF’s Review Board is permitted.
- Applications in psychosocial aspects of pediatric cancer and/or cancer control are not eligible for the Reach Grant.
- Applications not following the guidelines will be administratively rejected.
- No appendices are permitted.
- Application Due Date: May 20, 2019 (11:59 PM ET)
- Award Notification Date: October/November 2019
- Project Start/End Dates: February 1, 2020 / January 31, 2022
- Progress Report: January 15, 2021
- Final Report: March 1, 2022
Tips for applicants: https://www.alexslemonade.org/researchers-reviewers/applicants/tips
Information for recipients: https://www.alexslemonade.org/researchers-reviewers/recipients
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://alsfapps.force.com/
Please contact Brenda Delarm if you have questions:
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer
111 Presidential Blvd., Suite 203
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 USA
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon