US Department of Agriculture (USDA), Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) - New Jersey
Grants to New Jersey aquaculture producers for assistance in implementing conservation practices. Funding is intended to support activities related to shellfish and finfish aquaculture, and habitat restoration for oyster reef. All conservation practices that are eligible through the EQIP program are approved for the Aquaculture Initiative. Primary practices supported through the EQIP Aquaculture Initiative include:
- Gear Cycling - This practice is used to reduce, clean, or remove biofouling organisms and other waste from bivalve production areas. Fouled gear is brought on short, air dried, and cleaned in an approved off-site location. NRCS assistance can help to defray the cost of extra equipment, increased labor, and record keeping.
- Rack Replacement - Wildlife movement can be inhibited by the oyster production racks. Wildlife (especially horseshoe crabs) may be trapped beneath the racks during low tide and unable to reach nesting habitat on shore. NRCS can provide assistance to replace new racks installed to the appropriate height and spacing to facilitate wildlife movement under and around racks. Rack height is at least 12 inches from the surface.
- Oyster Bed Restoration or Enhancement/Replenishment - Successful oyster growth occurs on beds that have a firm substrate. Land for aquaculture production that needs improvement to the bottom for spat on shell and wild oyster production may qualify for oyster bed restoration assistance.
- Shoreline Protection - Prevent the loss of land or damage to banks of streams, lakes, reservoirs, or estuaries (does not apply to ocean fronts). Vegetation and bioengineering treatments are used to stabilize low risk areas.
Other available practices include:
- Agricultural Energy Management Plan
- Constructed Wetland
- Farmstead Energy Improvement
- Heavy Use Area Protection
- Lighting System Improvement
- Waste Storage Facility.
GrantWatch ID#: 186358
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit applications to your local NRCS office: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/nj/contact/local/?cid=nrcs141p2_018800
Carrie Lindig, State Conservationist
220 Davidson Avenue 4th Floor
Somerset NJ 08873
For a list of specific employees, see: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/nj/contact/state/
USA: New Jersey