Foundation / Corporation
US Department of Agriculture (USDA), Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) - New Jersey
Grants to New Jersey agricultural producers to implement energy conservation management plans. Funding is intended to support producers in evaluating energy use, identifying energy reduction methods, and implementing the recommended conservation measures.
The program specifically address energy conservation through implementation of an Agricultural Energy Management Plan and practice implementation. The program is designed to assist producers in two ways:
- Identify ways to reduce energy use on their operation through an Agricultural Energy Management Plan (AgEMP) Conservation Activity Plan (CAP), also known as an on-farm energy audit
- Provide assistance to implement various recommended measures that address inefficient use of on-farm energy using NRCS conservation practice standards.
An On-farm energy audit or Agricultural Energy Management Plan is an evaluation of the energy use and efficiency on the operation. The audit meets the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) standard 612 for Type 2 audits. This standard establishes procedures for performing on-farm audits to determine and document current energy usage, and to provide an estimation of energy savings from alternatives in cultivation, protection, harvesting, processing and storage of agricultural commodities and in the feeding housing and processing of farm animals and animal products. To receive financial assistance for the implementation of energy recommendations from a plan, the energy audit must be less than five years old and meet the Type 2 standards. Practices recommended for installation are based on the landowner's goals and objectives and the lifecycle energy savings and cost-effectiveness of the practice.
Practices that address inefficient use of energy and energy savings as recommended in the AgEMP are eligible for financial assistance through the Energy Initiative. Practices include the following:
- Agricultural Energy Management Plan (128) - Applicants that do not have a plan can receive financial assistance to have a plan developed by a Technical Service provider (an NRCS approved consultant.)
- Farmstead Energy Improvement (374)
- Irrigation Water Management (449)
- Pumping Plant (533)
- Lighting System Improvement (670) - complete replacement or retrofitting of one or more components of an existing agricultural lighting system
- Building Envelope Improvement (672) - modification or retrofit of the building envelope of an existing agricultural structure. Examples include insulation and vapor retarders, greenhouse glazing, greenhouse energy screens and insulation, and commercial doors and windows.
GrantWatch ID#: 186400
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit applications to your local NRCS office: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/nj/contact/local/?cid=nrcs141p2_018800
Carrie Lindig, State Conservationist
220 Davidson Avenue 4th Floor
Somerset NJ 08873
For a list of specific employees, see: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/nj/contact/state/
USA: New Jersey