Veteran organizations help to make an impact within our society. Significantly, almost 10% of the U.S population identifies as a veteran, which is a staggering 19 million people. As a result, we recognize the public holiday, Memorial Day, to honor the sacrifice that our service members and their families make every day. For far too many, this sacrifice is literally life or limb, given in service to protect the freedom of Americans. While we can never repay their sacrifice, we are forever grateful. Furthermore, there are continued challenges, for veterans and their families who return from service. This can include issues like:
- Difficulties returning to civilian life
- Struggles finding and maintaining civilian employment
- An increased risk of substance abuse
- Access to proper mental health services
- Increased risk of homelessness
Unfortunately, these common issues can hinder a veteran’s ability to reintegrate into civilian life. While there is still much headway to make, we have seen progress in some areas for veterans, such as healthcare. Despite the various organizations dedicated to providing assistance for veterans, there is a need for more funding. For these organizations, receiving grant funding to benefit veterans, helps to make a major impact on the services and programs they offer.
Let’s Talk about Grants for Veterans: Can You Find Funding for Your Initiative?
Above all, these organizations do absolutely incredible work for the community. Even though funding is released on a regular basis, it can be difficult to locate grants where the eligibility criteria are met. For instance, some grant opportunities are specific to particular counties or cities.
For example, nonprofit organizations in Jacksonville, Florida can apply for grants up to $10,000. Intended to support direct services for veterans, the funding is for issues such as housing, job training, and emergency assistance.
Meanwhile, some grant opportunities are specific to certain states. In this case, nonprofit organizations in Idaho can apply for funding for a wide range of programs to benefit veterans.
Nationwide Grant Opportunities
Fortunately, grant listing directories, such as GrantWatch.com, allow organizations to filter current grants available based on your geographic location. We’ve listed a few of the popular grants to help benefit veteran programs, services, and activities:
1. In-kind grants of donated goods and services are available to nonprofit organizations. Especially, this opportunity is to assist organizations in distribution programs to support homeless, low-income, and disabled veterans.
2. Nonprofits can apply for grants to improve the lives of injured military veterans and their families. Furthermore, this funding is intended to support a range of services and programs including, but not limited to:
- Therapeutic and recreational activities
- Career training and education
- Rehabilitation programs
- Shelters for the homeless, and
- The supplies of mobility items
3. Up to $100,000 in funding for nonprofit organizations is available to support services that address the medical needs of veterans. Particularly, this grant is intended for the treatments and programs for service-related physical and mental injuries. Likewise, focus areas include:
- Physical recovery
- Brain health to include TBI and PTS
- Suicide prevention
- Veteran leadership
In brief, consider becoming a subscriber to GrantWatch.com to view the full text of these grants, including the eligibility criteria and RFP/application. Otherwise, click here to view the full list of grants currently available for nonprofits to benefit veterans. For more information, you can also visit the GrantWatch FAQ page.