Foundation / Corporation
Appalachian Community Fund (ACF)
04/30/19 5:00 PM EDT
Grants of up to $5,000 to Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, and West Virginia nonprofit organizations for projects and programs addressing racial, social, economic, and environmental justice in eligible counties. Funding may also be used for general support of organizations working to overcome the underlying causes of poverty and injustice.
ACF defines social change as the movement of people toward the establishment of environmental, economic, racial, and social justice and the re-distribution of wealth, power, and resources through the methods listed above. The organization or project must show evidence of working for social change through one or more of the following:
- Organizing and action led by people working to control their own lives.
- Educating communities about the root causes of oppression and injustice.
- Eliminating barriers to full participation in society (i.e. racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, ageism, able-ism, and exclusion from decision-making processes).
- Focusing on efforts to change cultural, social, political, and economic systems and institutions that accommodate and perpetuate social injustice.
- Creating and modeling democratic cultural, social, political and economic systems.
- Connecting local issues with national and global concerns.
- Networking, collaborating, and cooperating with other change agents working toward similar goals.
Additionally, proposals will be evaluated on:
- An understanding and analysis of structural racism and other types of oppression and efforts to address them.
- A clear strategy aimed at an equitable distribution of power and wealth.
- Strong local community leadership representative of and accountable to the organization’s constituency.
- Efforts to build new leadership from the community served.
- A commitment to building the organization and involving people who are new to social justice movements.
- The organizational capacity to plan and implement work and to raise and manage funds.
- A plan or project with specific goals.
GrantWatch ID#: 126411
General Fund grants up to $5,000 will be awarded for projects or general operations.
Funding Period: July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020
Organizations must have a 501(c)3 tax exempt status, or a 501(c)3 fiscal sponsor, in order to receive ACF funding. The organization or project must be in the Appalachian counties of Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, or West Virginia.
ACF does not fund:
- Profit-making organizations
- Electoral lobbying for initiatives or public office
- Individual efforts
- Major capital projects
- Social services organizations unless they demonstrate some analysis and strategies to challenge the systems that lead to the problem
ACF gives special consideration to grassroots organizations with budgets less than $200,000 that have limited access to traditional funding sources. ACF also examines how long a group has received continuous funding from ACF.
- April 30, 2019 5:00 PM EDT: Proposals Due
- Mid-June: Notification of Results
- June 30, 2019: Signed Grant Agreements Due
- July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020: Funding Period
All proposals must be received no later than the due date. Late submissions will not be accepted. ACF does not accept applications via fax.
Grantmaking FAQs: http://www.appalachiancommunityfund.org/grantee-resources-faq/
Definition of Social Change: http://www.appalachiancommunityfund.org/social-change/
Anti-racism FAQs: http://www.appalachiancommunityfund.org/anti-racism-work/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
If you have additional questions or need more information, please contact ACF at 865-523-5783 or email@example.com.
Email: Email your complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1405 E Magnolia Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37917
Office hours are 9 AM to 5 PM weekdays.
Map of Appalachian Community Fund's region: http://www.appalachiancommunityfund.org/where-we-fund/
USA: Kentucky; Tennessee; Virginia; West Virginia