Foundation / Corporation
Awards will be given to large, established social entrepreneurship organizations worldwide in order to help them take their work to the next level. Proposals will be considered from organizations addressing a variety of issues including: economic and social equality, environmental sustainability, health, institutional responsibility, peace and security, and tolerance and human rights. Priority is given to organizations with annual budgets of USD 1,000,000 - USD 2,500,00 that are ready to expand significantly. Award winners have a tested and proven social innovation that addresses an issue of critical importance and is positioned for large-scale impact.
Qualifying organizations will be evaluated against the following criteria:
* Impact potential: Organization’s innovation is positioned to directly affect policy, behavior and/or infrastructure/system(s) on a large scale and can show evidence of significant impact already achieved.
* Inflection: Organization has a proven approach that has already been implemented with success and is now ready to apply the approach on a much larger scale.
* Innovation: Organization has an approach that fundamentally disrupts the status quo to solve social and/or environmental problems.
* Issue: Organization works on an issue that is identified by the Skoll Foundation as one of world’s most pressing problems.
* Skoll leverage: Organization will benefit from engaging with Skoll Foundation beyond a purely funding relationship, such as collaboration with our network of entrepreneurs or access to media opportunities.
* Social entrepreneur: Organization is led by a visionary social entrepreneur
* Sustainability: Organization has a clear, compelling plan for expanding impact and achieving long-term financial and operational sustainability.
Skoll Award recipients typically exhibit many of the following characteristics:
* Led by a visionary, effective social entrepreneur serving as a spokesperson for the issue
* Strong leadership team and board
* Clear mission and implementation model
* Unwavering focus on mission
* Well-established, strong partnerships
* Commitment to systems, including those for measurement and learning
* Diversified and mission-aligned funding sources
* Programs promoting religious or ideological doctrine, such as those principally sectarian in nature
* Lobbying (beyond that allowed by law for charitable organizations)
* Film financing
* Endowments, cash reserves or deficit reductions
* Land, site acquisition, or facilities construction
* Event sponsorship
* Political campaigns
* New or early-stage business plans or ideas
* Grantmaking to other organizations or individuals
GrantWatch ID#: 127101
A core support grant to the organization, to be paid over three years, and a non-cash award to the social entrepreneur
501(c)(3) public charities or foreign public-charity equivalent
Annual budgets of USD 1,000,000 - USD 2,500,000
Applicants should have:
* A social entrepreneur currently leading the organization in a full-time capacity (e.g., at least 35 hours per week) who intends to continue in a full-time, senior leadership role for at least the next three years
* At least 20 staff members of full-time volunteers
* Government agencies
* University-based projects
* Public schools and school districts
* Institutions that discriminate on the basis of race, creed, age, gender or sexual orientation in policy or practice
* Organizations whose missions and work focus on a single municipality, province or state
* Local offices of parent organizations or specific programs within organizations
Prospective applicants must take an online eligibility quiz.
Frequently asked questions: http://www.skollfoundation.org/about/skoll-awards/skoll-award-for-social-entrepreneurship-frequently-asked-questions/
Skoll Award recipients celebrated at the Skoll World Forum: March 2013
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Only inquiries not addressed in the resources listed in the RFP will be answered.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.