San Juan County
08/09/19 4:30 PM
Grants to San Juan County, Washington nonprofit organizations, municipalities, visitors bureaus, and destination marketing organizations for activities and facilities that promote local tourism. Special emphasis will be placed on events, facilities, and facility operations that enhance tourism beyond the peak summer months.
The expected outcome of the funded activities is to increase economic activity in San Juan County in 2020 and beyond through the overnight lodging of tourists, through tourism-related expenditures, and construction of tourism-related facilities.
The purpose of this posting is to seek proposals from qualified entities interested in:
1) Funding single project proposals concerned with acquiring, improving or developing County facilities for enhancing the tourism experience; and/or
2) Funding the operation and promotion of tourism facilities that enhance the tourism experience; and/or
3) One-time grants to establish or enhance events that draw tourists; and/or
4) Projects that carry out the tourism-related goals of the adopted San Juan County LTAC Master plan.
Applicants will be asked to estimate how many individuals their project or operation will attract from more than 50 miles away and stay in paid lodging.
Program categories are:
- Tourism facilities capital expenditures (County owned or operated facilities only): Construction, Improvement, Renovation)
- Grants for Tourism Events and Festivals designed to attract tourists
- Grants for operation of existing eligible tourism facilities that meet the criteria of the RFP and the long-range tourism plan (including, but not limited to historic museums, performing arts, visual arts)
- Special Investments that help to accomplish the goals and objectives of the LTAC Master Plan
For the 2020 Areas of Emphasis (objectives), see https://www.sanjuanco.com/DocumentCenter/View/18597/2020-Facilities-Grant-Program-RFP#page=3.
2020 LTAC Priorities for Tourism Development (Listed in alphabetical order): arts, fairgrounds, parks, place-based food, restrooms, museums and theaters, seasonal tourism industry employee housing, signage, transportation, wildlife and environment. For details about each priority, see https://www.sanjuanco.com/DocumentCenter/View/18596/2020-San-Juan-County-LTAC_Master_Plan#page=3.
i. The project must be entirely within the corporate limits of San Juan County.
ii. The project must be specifically related to tourism in San Juan County and prominently mention the San Juan Islands in all printed materials;
iii. The project must be designed for the purpose of attracting off-Island visitors to the County
The San Juan County has a strong preference for giving non-operational grants (e.g. one-time start-up expenses, advertising, or production of special programs, rather than ongoing expenses such as staff salaries).
LTAC has historically given priority to funding proposals that encourage and enhance tourism beyond the peak months of July and August.
GrantWatch ID#: 138127
In recent years, first-time grants have generally ranged from $1,000 to $12,000.
Approximately 75% of available funds are traditionally used to sustain operations of Historical Museums, Performing Arts Centers and Public Parks.
Applicants must submit invoices for payment by no later than December 31, 2020.
Funding may be requested for expenditures in only one year’s budget of an event/festival project. A facility, operations or special investment project may be proposed for one or more years
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Applications can be submitted by email, mail, or hand-delivered.
San Juan County Council Office
55 Second Street 1st Floor
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
San Juan County
Lodging Tax Promotion Proposals
350 Court Street #1
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
USA: Washington: San Juan County