Charlottesville City Schools
Awards of $1,000 each to outstanding Virginia elementary, middle, and high-school teachers working in the public and private schools in Albemarle County and/or the City of Charlottesville, or at the Charlottesville Albemarle Technical Education Center. These awards are intended to honor and recognize the area's most exemplary teachers.
Grant awards can be used to purchase classroom materials or to support the recipient’s continued professional development.
A Golden Apple nominee should exhibit the following characteristics:
- Creates a love of learning in students of all abilities and backgrounds.
- Stimulates thought and provokes student dialogue.
- Challenges students to reach high standards and expectations.
- Understands the needs of students individually and collectively, and meets those needs with determination, enthusiasm, and imagination.
- Involves families in the education process.
GrantWatch ID#: 139255
Grants will be awarded to eight candidates: three elementary, two middle, and two high school candidates, and one from the schools that are members of the VAIS.
Award recipients will receive a Golden Apple, as well as gift certificates from local businesses. Each recipient will also be eligible to receive one of eight $1,000 Golden Apple Grant.
These awards are presented to faculty members from the public and private schools in Albemarle County and City of Charlottesville including CATEC. Eligible private schools are those that are current members of the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS).
Candidates are faculty members may be working at any level (pre‐school through grade twelve) and in any discipline. Candidates for this award have demonstrated excellence in teaching and involvement in the community outside the school.
Golden Apple Award recipients who received this award within the past three years are not eligible for nomination.
1. Based on the nomination criteria, candidates may be nominated for the Golden Apple Award by colleagues, students, and/or community members. Deadline to submit a nomination: Wednesday, February 12, 2014.
2. Nominations must be forwarded to and signed by the school principal for advancement to the selection process (signature obtained in “Part 2” of the nomination form).
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Contact Reeda Deane at the ACPS Department of Instruction at 434‐296‐5820.
Dr. Rosa S. Atkins, Superintendent
1562 Dairy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville