Foundation / Corporation
Region of Waterloo Arts Fund
11/16/18 4:00 PM
Grants to Ontario organizations ad individual artists for programs in any of the artistic disciplines in the Waterloo Region. Applicants must submit a Stage 1 application by September 7, 2018. Funding is intended for specific projects, innovation, experimentation, and pilot projects. New programs, start-ups, and exceptional elements in regular program offerings are also funded.
Once a project has been undertaken two or three times, the Board views this as on-going operations and seldom supports further grants.
- Makes art happen
- Artistic merit / originality
- Artistic credentials and track record
- Artistic work appropriately paid
- Visibility / impact / significance / public benefit
- Contributes to the cultural vibrancy of Waterloo Region
- Clarity and quality of the project
- Viability of work plan and budget
- Capacity for completing project as presented
- Possibility of obtaining funding from other sources
- Likelihood project will happen regardless of Arts Fund investment
GrantWatch ID#: 139751
The Arts Fund has not set any maximum or minimum limits on its grants and may fund either a partial or full amount of the request. Grant amounts have ranged between $350 and $21,000, but most fall between $5,000 and $10,000.
Projects must occur within 12 months of receiving a grant.
Organizations and individual practitioners in all arts disciplines, including performing (theatre, music, dance), visual, literary, film/video/media, interdisciplinary and community arts are eligible to submit an application for consideration.
Unincorporated projects, groups, and/or collectives may submit proposals, but corporations must be not-for-profit, managed by a volunteer board and the majority of its members and/or clients must live or work in the Region of Waterloo.
Applicants must be adults - defined in the provincial Age of Majority and Accountability Act as 18 and older - to apply for an Arts Fund grant, to sign the Grant Agreement, and to receive funds.
The Arts Fund does not provide operating grants or grants in support of major capital building ventures.
The Arts Fund does not grant funds for professional or personal expenses that are ongoing. The funded project expenses must be directly related to the project and may not include any of the following:
- Operating costs (e.g. core staff, office expenses, rent, insurance)
- Core program offerings
- Regular presentation seasons
- Projects or events with recurrent, unvarying, definitive components
The Arts Fund does not normally invest in:
- Capital projects
- Goods or services for personal use
- Freestanding marketing, promotion
- Organizational planning and development
- Educational programs and instruction
- Projects in which art-making is incidental or secondary
- Artistic production originating outside Waterloo Region
The Arts Fund Board of Directors hosts an informal drop-in Open House for grant applicants in advance of the Spring and Fall rounds. Board members are available to share general information about the fund, its mandate and welcome feedback from applicants.
These are not a grant writing workshops because board members are restricted from providing specific application assistance.
The next Open House is on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 5 p.m. until 7 p.m.
Where: Region of Waterloo Administrative Headquarters, 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, Room 110 (Ground Floor)
Open House Information:
When a local grant writing session or workshop is available, the location and time will be noted here: http://www.artsfund.ca/Grant-Writing-Sessions.htm
The Region of Waterloo Arts Fund evaluates applications twice each year in Spring and Fall rounds. At each stage, decision notification letters will be mailed to both successful and unsuccessful applicants.
Spring Deadlines (for projects July 1 – December 31)
- Stage 1 applications due: Friday, March 2, 2018 by 4:00 p.m.
- Letters mailed to all Stage 1 applicants: by Thursday, April 12, 2018
- Stage 2 detailed applications due: Friday, May 11, 2018 by 4:00 p.m.
- Final adjudication letters mailed: by Friday, June 22, 2018
Fall Deadlines (for projects January 1 – June 30)
- Stage 1 applications due: Friday, September 7, 2018 by 4:00 p.m.
- Letters mailed to all Stage 1 applicants: by Friday, October 19, 2018
- Stage 2 detailed applications due: Friday, November 16, 2018 by 4:00 p.m.
- Final adjudication letters mailed:by Friday, December 21, 2018
All applicants are invited to submit the required information in the Stage 1 application form and provide basic information, including a brief description of the project.
Only those applicants from Stage 1 who are shortlisted are invited to complete and submit the more detailed Stage 2 application form.
The Board policy does not permit retroactive funding of projects. If the project happens before the granting decision date, the application will be ineligible. Since projects must happen within 12 months of receiving a grant, timing the application to an earlier round ensures that the deadline criteria is met.
- If the project will take place between January 1 and June 30, apply for the Fall round of the preceding year (September deadline).
- If the project will take place between July 1 and December 31, apply for the Spring round of the current year (March deadline).
How to Apply:
Who Can Apply:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Applications should be sent to:
Region of Waterloo Arts Fund
c/o Regional Clerk's Office
Regional Administration Building, 2nd Floor
150 Frederick Street
Kitchener, ON, N2G 4J3
For further information: