Foundation / Corporation
Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation (SMIF) and Ace Hardware
In-kind grants of paint supplies to Southern Minnesota nonprofit organizations and government agencies to beautify small communities with welcome signs, murals, or historic structure projects. Eligible counties are Blue Earth, Brown, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Le Sueur, Martin, Mower, Nicollet, Olmsted, Rice, Sibley, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan, and Winona. All projects must exhibit visual impact, current and intended public use of the structure, and volunteer participation.
SMIF’s Paint the Town Grant Program grants are designed to engage volunteers, create a sense of community pride, and build collaborative efforts that beautify communities through "Painting the Town". Paint the Town grants are administered by SMIF in collaboration with 14 Ace Hardware stores located in the region.
Between 15 and 100 gallons of paint from selected Ace Hardware stores valued around $25 per gallon will be funded.
GrantWatch ID#: 145538
Up to ten small communities with a population under 10,000 will be awarded paint.
Paint requests up to 100 gallons will be considered.
The project must be completed before December 2, 2019.
Eligible applicants and projects:
- IRS-designated 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations and units/agencies of local, state, and federal government in southern Minnesota can apply to receive paint products.
- Applicants must be located within (or serve) SMIF’s 20-county region: Blue Earth, Fillmore, Le Sueur, Olmsted, Wabasha, Brown, Freeborn, Martin, Rice, Waseca, Dodge, Goodhue, Mower, Sibley, Watonwan, Faribault, Houston, Nicollet, Steele, Winona.
- Community population must be under 10,000 (U.S. 2010 Census).
- Privately-owned buildings must have a government organization or IRS designated 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization as a fiscal agent to receive the paint.
- Historic structures must be owned and operated by a government organization or IRS designated 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- At least 50% of the painting must be done by community volunteers.
- Sentencing to Service Program (STS) participants are not considered volunteers.
- Muralists/artists who assist in the design and application may participate in the project but are not considered volunteers if they are being paid for their work.
SMIF only covers the cost of awarded paint; grantee is responsible for the cost of supplies, equipment, and any additional paint.
Ineligible organizations or activities include:
- Organizations that do not meet the above criteria
- Privately-owned facilities that require membership/fee for access
- Application deadline: May 15, 2019
- Grant awards made: May 31, 2019
Grant recipients must pick up their paint products at one of the participating Ace Hardware stores. Please consider travel costs before completing the application. The participating stores are located in Chaska, Eagan, Faribault, Farmington, Mankato, Northfield, Owatonna, Rochester (3 locations), Shakopee, St. Charles, St. Peter, and Zumbrota.
For further guidelines see the Guidelines and Procedures document below.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Questions and application forms should be sent to:
Jennifer Heien, Grants Coordinator
Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation
PO Box 695
Owatonna, MN 55060
USA: Minnesota: Blue Earth, Brown, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Le Sueur, Martin, Mower, Nicollet, Olmsted, Rice, Sibley, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan, and Winona