Foundation / Corporation
United Way of South Mississippi (UWSM)
Grants to Mississippi nonprofits, faith-based organizations, and governmental entities to positively impact the quality of life in Hancock, Harrison, Pearl River, and Stone Counties. Legal documentation must be submitted before the submission of a full application. Funding is intended for services and programs that relate to education, health, family stability and support, and financial stability. The goal of the grant is to give children and families the tools and support they need to thrive in the community.
Education Goals: Children 0-5 meet developmental milestones entering kindergarten and are on track to be reading on grade level by the end of 3rd grade. Strategies:
- Support evidence-based early care and learning programs that measure and enhance developmental and academic success.
- Support quality school based and after school tutoring for at-risk children, measuring the children’s progress toward grade level reading.
- Establish summer learning programs that last a minimum of three weeks to prepare children to enter kindergarten and/or prevent summer learning loss in reading skills.
Health Goals: Educate community members on the importance of good health and raise awareness of basic health and human services. Strategies:
- Support established programs that increase access to healthcare and healthy living initiatives.
- Support programs that raise awareness regarding health topics such as prevention, management and treatment of health conditions.
- Decrease the number of families living with food insecurity.
Financial Stability Goals: To empower community members to gain stable financial ground by providing them with the necessary tools and resources towards a path of financial empowerment and freedom. Strategies:
- Support programs that provide access to career pathways through job training and employment readiness services.
- Support programs hosting financial literacy opportunities and teaching self sufficiency through positive money management and credit counseling.
- Decrease the number of families living in homelessness by supporting agencies that provide affordable housing options.
Family Stability and Support Goals: Using two generation collaboration, families will be stable and have the support needed to improve learning success for their children 0-8. Strategies:
- The developmental and academic progress of the families’ children is measured and, through consultation among collaborative partners, the impact on both generations served is tracked.
- Parents are engaged to assess family needs and develops goals/plans to meet them, including parenting education.
GrantWatch ID#: 151985
A suggested range for grants is $20,000-$40,000. However, the actual amount of funding available will not be determined until the close of campaign in March of 2019.
The two-year funding cycle begins July 1, 2019.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit letters of intent and applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
228-896-2213 ext. 7115
United Way of South Mississippi
Knight Nonprofit Center
11975 Seaway Road
Gulfport, MS 39503