Alberta Foundation for the Arts (AFA)
02/01/18 11:59 PM MT
Grants of up to $50,000 or more to Alberta nonprofit arts organizations for general operating support. First-time applicants must contact program staff three months prior to the deadline and register online at least five days before the deadline. Funding ensures that Alberta artists and arts organizations have access to support for artistic disciplines through the work of recipient organizations.
This grant provides funding in three-year cycles to eligible member-based arts organizations that provide educational, resource-based, promotional and advocacy services as the umbrella organization for an artistic discipline or sector in the province.
This funding is designed to support your organization’s operations, which are specific to your organization’s mandate, strategic and/or business plan and activities as described in your application and/or reporting.
AFA operating funding typically supports expenses such as:
- Salaries and fees
- Maintenance of equipment and fixed assets
- Other expenses as required to fulfill your organization’s mandate
GrantWatch ID#: 153745
Grant calculations for each organization in this grant stream will consist of two components: a base grant of up to $50,000 for operating expenses, and an additional amount of up to 50 percent of eligible expenses.
Note: Recommended additional amounts are determined within the context of total available funds within the allocated Provincial Arts Service Organizations program budget.
This grant provides funding in three-year cycles.
To be eligible for Provincial Arts Service Organizations operating funding, you must:
- Have the promotion of an artistic discipline or sector as your organization’s principal mandate as stated in its incorporation documents
- Engage in on-going development of, support for, and advocacy on behalf of that discipline or sector as its core primary activity
- Serve a province-wide membership of both individuals and organizations
- Derive revenue from sources other than the AFA
- Maintain a provincial office with staff that is accessible to the membership
- Engage in regular communication to the membership
- Offer regular programs and development opportunities for the artistic discipline or sector
- Advocate at the provincial level on behalf of the artistic discipline or sector
Your organization must:
- Be a not-for-profit organization
- Be registered and in good standing under the appropriate legislation and have been in operation in Alberta for at least two years
- Have at least 50% of the organization’s board members living in Alberta
- Employ an Executive Director or equivalent
- Demonstrate the ability to operate using good governance principles, effective administration practices, and a commitment to fiscal responsibility while maintaining its mandate
- Operate as a stand-alone arts organization at arms-length from municipalities, commercial enterprises, or organizations and institutions receiving annual operating funds from the Government of Alberta or its affiliates
- Comply with all Canadian Arts Database (CADAC) financial and statistical requirements
- Have a board-approved cash reserve policy
Organizations that are engaged primarily in competition-based activity are not eligible for AFA funding.
Ineligible expenses for AFA operating funding include, but are not limited to:
- GST expenses
- Fundraising expenses
- Bad debt and other paper losses
- Capital expenses
All applications must be submitted online through the GATE portal no later than 11:59 pm Mountain Time on February 1, 2018. Recommendations will be made to the AFA Board of Directors during its annual May meeting. Successful recipients should be notified in June.
If this is your organization’s first application for AFA Provincial Arts Service Organizations operating funding, you must contact the AFA at least three months before the deadline for a preliminary eligibility assessment.
Eligible first-time applicants will be accepted only at the beginning of each three-year cycle.
As a first-time applicant, your organization must provide approved financial statements that demonstrate the organization has positive net assets for the three annual fiscal periods immediately prior to application.
First-time applicants will require a GATE username and password. Contact the Foundation via email at least five business days prior to the application deadline.
Recommendations will be made to the AFA Board of Directors during its annual May meeting. Successful recipients should be notified in June.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application system: https://gate.alberta.ca/gate/frontOffice.jsf
Paul Reich, Arts Development Consultant - Dance, Literary
Alberta Foundation for the Arts
Edmonton, AB T5H 0A1