Grants to Alberta nonprofit arts organizations for general operating and other eligible expenses. First-time applicants must contact the program staff three months prior to the deadline and register online at least five days before the deadline. Funding is intended for member-based arts organizations that provide educational, resource-based, promotional, and advocacy services as the umbrella organization for an artistic discipline or sector in the province.
AFA operating funding typically supports expenses such as:
Salaries and fees
Maintenance of equipment and fixed assets
Other expenses as required to fulfill your organization’s mandate
To be eligible for Provincial Arts Service Organizations operating funding, you must:
- Have the promotion of an artistic discipline or sector as your organization’s principal mandate as stated in its incorporation documents
- Engage in on-going development of, support for, and advocacy on behalf of that discipline or sector as its core primary activity
- Serve a province-wide membership of both individuals and organizations
- Derive revenue from sources other than the AFA
- Maintain a provincial office with staff that is accessible to the membership
- Engage in regular communication to the membership
- Offer regular programs and development opportunities for the artistic discipline or sector
- Advocate at the provincial level on behalf of the artistic discipline or sector
Your organization must:
- Be a not-for-profit organization
- Be registered and in good standing under the appropriate legislation and have been in operation in Alberta for at least two years
- Have at least 50% of the organization’s board members living in Alberta
- Employ an Executive Director or equivalent
- Demonstrate the ability to operate using good governance principles, effective administration practices, and a commitment to fiscal responsibility while maintaining its mandate
- Operate as a stand-alone arts organization at arms-length from municipalities, commercial enterprises, or organizations and institutions receiving annual operating funds from the Government of Alberta or its affiliates
- Comply with all Canadian Arts Database (CADAC) financial and statistical requirements
- Have a board-approved cash reserve policy
Ineligible expenses for AFA operating funding include, but are not limited to:
- GST expenses
- Fundraising expenses
- Bad debt and other paper losses
- Capital expenses
- Application Deadline: February 1, 2024 at 11:59 PM Mountain Time
- Grant recommendations are made to the AFA board of directors. Successful recipients will be notified upon board approval, generally between four to six months from the application deadline.
- If this is an organization’s first application for AFA Provincial Arts Service Organizations operating funding, the applicant must contact the AFA at least three months before the deadline for a preliminary eligibility assessment.
- Eligible first-time applicants will be accepted only at the beginning of each three-year cycle.
- First-time applicants will require a GATE username and password. Contact the Foundation via email at least five business days prior to the application deadline.
Funding awarded through this opportunity is calculated for each organization through two components:
- A base amount of up to $50,000 for operating expenses
- An additional amount of up to 50 per cent of eligible expenses
Note: Recommended additional amounts are determined within the context of total available funds within the allocated Provincial Arts Service Organizations program budget.