Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom (IAITC)
Grants of up to $7,500 to Illinois county agencies and organizations for programs that will enhance agricultural literacy for all levels of education. Funding will be used towards the services of a countywide agricultural literacy coordinator who will endeavor to increase society's awareness of the total agricultural industry. Funds will be available upon the hiring of a coordinator.
The County Agricultural Literacy Coordinator’s duties will be to provide and/or coordinate programs that are research-based, action-oriented, and utilize the experimental learning process. The focus will be on hands-on curriculum for use in the classroom. The program is to aid in meeting Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards for educators.
The County Agricultural Literacy Coordinator will be expected to provide professional development programs to educators showing them how agriculture can be used as a medium for teaching science, math, and other core learning areas, and to participate in the statewide training programs for County Agricultural Literacy Coordinators.
GrantWatch ID#: 154913
Up to $7,500.
Project Timeline: July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018
County agencies and organizations may apply.
Each county literacy program must have an active advisory council consisting of a cross-section of members from the community. They are required to meet at least twice a year. The advisory council’s purpose is to advise the program and assist the coordinator. An advisory council must be in place with the submission of this application.
The Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom program is interested in funding a united county effort with several actively involved partners. The advisory council membership may come from: County Farm Bureau Forest Preserve Districts, Soil and Water Conservation Districts, Local School Districts, University of Illinois Extension - Multi-County Unit, County Commodity Groups, Education to Careers 4-H, Regional Office of Education FFA, Local Chamber of Commerce – Agribusiness Committee, and County Conservation Groups (Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, etc.).
Because of the nature of the ever evolving agriculture literacy effort across the state, the local County Farm Bureau, Soil and Water Conservation District, and University of Illinois Extension must be involved at the local level in an advisory capacity. It is REQUIRED that the FCAE Program Advisor and the IAITC office are invited to an introductory meeting to help facilitate your program decisions.
To be eligible for future funding from Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom, your county coalition’s monetary income must be $1 more than the IAITC grant. Approximately $40,000 is recommended per year for salaries, transportation, secretarial support, printing, resource materials, and supplies for a successful full-time program.
- July 19, 2017: Proposal Deadline to Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom.
- August 31, 2017: Grant Recipients Selected
- September 2017: New County Coalition Orientation (for counties not previously funded by IAITC), facilitated by IAITC Staff, held in Bloomington, Illinois; Ag Literacy Coordinator Meeting – Central Illinois; Email notification to county coalitions for awarded grants--formal letter will follow
- Monthly: Monthly Updates to the IAITC office and the FCAE Field Advisor
- October 2017: Funds distributed – pending funding availability - ESTIMATED!
- February 2018: Ag Literacy Coordinator Meetings – usually three locations throughout IL
- May 2018: Ag Literacy Coordinator Meeting – Central Illinois
- July 19, 2018: Annual/Final Reports due to IAITC (3 copies - 4 if submitted by U of I Extension)
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.