Foundation / Corporation
Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta
In-kind grants of tangible goods worth up to $5,000 to Georgia nonprofits to improve delivery of services to residents of the Greater Atlanta area. Funding is intended to provide monetary and in-kind contributions, not services or staff, that clearly contribute to the success of organizations and the people served. Extra Wish funding is intended to support items, beyond an organization’s operating budget, those “hard to fund” things that will enhance the organization’s work.
In the past, the most successful wishes were requests for items that directly help program participants, rather than organizational operating equipment. Applicants may request an item or items (no more than three unique items) where the total value is no more than $5,000.
Eligible wish list requests:
Resources for program participants or organizations: expendable and non-expendable items that will help program participants succeed, such as clothing, MARTA fares, toys, age-appropriate reading material, tickets/participation fees for program participants and equipment for people with disabilities. Program-related resources such as reference books, videos or training materials that will remain with the organization. Requests for grocery store and gas station gift cards are eligible while requests for food and gasoline are not.
Capital items: office equipment including laptops, tablets, furniture, kitchen appliances and items needed to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Services: consultant, contract or labor expenses for specific, time bound projects.
The Foundation's main impact areas are:
- Arts: Build a dynamic arts ecology to ensure all residents have access to high-quality cultural experiences and diverse artistic programs.
- Community Development: Advocate for equitable economic growth, strong civic health and safe, sustainable communities.
- Education: Improve outcomes and expand opportunities for all learners across the education spectrum.
- Nonprofit Effectiveness: Invest in the region’s nonprofits with management and financial resources to equip them to effectively manage operations and high-performing programs.
- Well-being: Ensure a healthy, safe and engaged region, where all residents have access to quality health care and nutritious food.
GrantWatch ID#: 156430
Total request amounts are capped at $5,000. Experience shows that most Extra Wish grants from the Community Foundation's donor-advised funds fall between $500 and $3,500.
Extra Wish is open to nonprofit organizations that have been fully evaluated through one of the Community Foundation’s discretionary grantmaking programs within the last five years (2012-2016) and those fully evaluated in 2017. Organizations will not be selected to be included in consecutive (back-to-back) Extra Wish catalogs.
All applying organizations:
- Must be located and providing services within the Foundation’s 23-county service area;
- Must be classified by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service under Section 501(c)(3) of the I.R.S. code as a no-nprofit, tax-exempt organization, donations to which are deductible as charitable contributions under Section 170(c)(2) and the I.R.S. determination must be current;
- Must be registered with the Georgia Secretary of State as a nonprofit;
- Must have a minimum one-year operating history after the date of receipt of its 501(c)(3) classification;
- Must have annual operating expenses greater than $25,000 as reflected in the most recently filed I.R.S. Form 990.
You may apply for funding for up to three unique items. The Community Foundation considers the following example to be three unique items: 10 chairs, two laptop computers and two laptop cases. The Community Foundation would consider the following to be five unique items: 10 chairs and tables, two laptop computers with two laptop cases and five reference books. Organizations that submit requests for more than three unique items will be automatically declined.
Ineligible wish list requests:
- Items that have already been purchased or services that have been contracted prior to application
- Items where the total cost exceeds $5,000 (including shipping costs)
- Gasoline for organizational fleets
- Subscriptions for magazines and trade publications
- Memberships and fees
- Attendance at conferences or training sessions for staff members
- Stipends for staff, volunteers, interns or program participants
- General operating expenses
- Support for organizational or program endowments
- Monday, May 21: Grant details available through Good Done Great
- By Friday, June 29 at noon: Nonprofits complete their Organizational Profile, Common Grant Application, and Extra Wish - Application and attachment (a high resolution photo best reflecting your organization’s work)
- By September 1: Applicants notified of inclusion (or not) in the Fall 2018 Extra Wish catalog
- By November 17: Community Foundation will distribute Extra Wish to all current donors. The issue will be available on the website as well.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://www.gdg.do/prod1/portal/portal.jsp?c=8693710&p=8699963&g=8699983
Direct inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Maria Najlis, Program Associate
Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta
191 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30303
USA: Georgia: Greater Atlanta