Foundation / Corporation
Bronx Council on the Arts (BCA)
12/10/18 11:59 PM
Awards of $4,000 to Bronx, New York individual artists to recognize outstanding works in the media, visual, literary, and performing arts disciplines. Proposals must demonstrate the following qualities: high level of skill and technical expertise, ability to push boundaries, innovation, ingenuity and rigor in artistic production, an awareness of the medium within a historical context, and a compelling vision and original voice.
Winners are required to complete a one-time public service activity known as Artists for Community Enrichment (ACE). ACE events (ranging from performances with Q&As to workshops and classes) provide artists with additional visibility and demonstrate to the community the wealth of artistic talent available in the borough.
BCA is proud to continue the BRIO tradition into the future, offering this invaluable honor in the Bronx that:
- Boosts early career artists
- Highlights previously unknown voices
- Recognizes quality artistic practice
- Fosters connection between Bronx artists and their communities
Adjudication panels are comprised of seasoned artists and arts professionals from outside the boro who, guided by discipline-specific criteria and experience, review submissions anonymously and select awardees for distinction in the following categories:
- Literary Arts:
Fiction, Non-Fiction, Playwriting, Poetry, Screenwriting, Illustrated Text
- Media Arts:
Digital Arts, Film or Video (Narrative/Documentary/Experimental), Film Animation
- Performing Arts:
Acting, Choreography, Dance, Instrumental and Vocal Music Performance (Audio only!), Music Composition, Performance Poetry, Spoken Word, Storytelling
- Visual Arts:
2-D: Artist book, Drawing, Illustration Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Mixed Media, Street Art
3-D: Installation Art, Mixed Media, Performance Art, Sculpture, Architecture, Crafts, Graphic Design, Environmental, and Interior Design
GrantWatch ID#: 159313
Recipients will be required to complete the Artists for Community Enrichment (ACE) community service activity within a year of receiving the award.
- You must be 18 years old or older.
- You must be a resident of the Bronx. Winners must provide 2 proofs of residency.
- You must have an e-mail address.
- You must have a Social Security number.
- Full-time graduate or undergraduate students enrolled in any degree program.
- Recipients of 2018 BRIO awards.
- Individuals who work for Bronx Council on the Arts.
"How to Apply" Workshops:
Wednesday, November 14th, 6:00 - 8:00 PM
74 Van Cortlandt Park South,
Bronx, NY 10463
Wednesday, November 28th, 5:00 - 6:30 PM
Mott Haven Library
321 E. 140th Street,
Bronx, NY 10454
Tuesday, December 4th, 5:00 - 6:00 PM
1701 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. (University Ave)
Bronx, NY 10453
Deadline: Monday, December 10th, 2018
General Submission Information:
- Work samples must be from work created in the last 5 years (between 2013 and 2018).
- BRIO awards are adjudicated in a blind submission process. Panelists will evaluate submissions based on the materials they are viewing/hearing/reading. Applicants are advised to be highly selective and intentional in choosing work samples to submit. Poor quality work samples and materials will affect the panel's evaluation.
Decisions will be e-mailed to all applicants in approximately May of the grant year. Winners will then be invited to a ceremony that following June, at which they will be honored and receive the award.
Applicants can apply to BRIO and Arts Fund, but must choose only one Grant if awarded both. An artist may not accept money from BRIO and Arts Fund because both grants are funded through the same source.
Eligible applicants can receive money from BRIO, New Work, and Community Arts in the same year.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Literary Arts Application:
Media Arts Application:
Performing Arts Application:
Visual Arts Application:
For questions, please contact:
Bryan E. Glover, Grants Director
(718) 931-9500 ex.22
USA: New York City: Bronx; New York