Grants of up to $10,000 to Alberta nonprofit organizations, institutions of higher education, foundations, and First Nations and Metis organizations in eligible locations for programs and projects that benefit local residents. Funding is intended for one-time initiatives or projects, operating expenses, and events designed to attract visitors. Eligible projects benefit the residents of Hinton and are linked to measurable targets and outcomes.
The purpose of the Community Grant Program is to fund the following:
One-time projects and initiatives;
Operating expenses of organizations in their development stage once per fiscal year for up to three years (within the first five years);
Events that are primarily designed and delivered for the general public that attract visitors, significantly contribute to the local economy, and promote volunteerism.
The following organizations are eligible to apply for Community Grant funding:
1. Community nonprofit organizations that are registered (and in good standing) under one of the following Acts:
- Agriculture Societies Act
- Part 21 of the Business Corporations Act – Extra-Provincial Corporations
- Cemeteries Act or Cemetery Companies Act
- Companies Act, Part 9 (Non-profit Companies)
- Libraries Act
- Societies of Alberta Act
- Special Act of the Alberta Legislature
- Special Act of the Parliament of Canada
- Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act and must be registered in Alberta under the Business Corporations Act
- Income Tax Act of Canada and operating in the province of Alberta (Charities)
2. First Nations and Metis Settlements
3. Foundations established and regulated under the province’s Regional Health Authorities Act
4. Universities, colleges, and institutes as defined under Alberta’s Post-Secondary Learning Act.
The following organizations are not eligible to apply for funding under the Community Grant Program:
- For-profit organizations
- Any other organizations not registered* under one of the above-mentioned Acts
- Organizations that have overdue or incomplete accounting or reporting relating to any grant previously awarded by the Town of Hinton for the Community Grant Program.
*PLEASE NOTE: If your group is non-registered, you can still apply through an eligible group. The sponsoring organization must provide their explicit board approval to apply for grant funding, assist with submitting the application, oversee the project/activity, and ensure accounting requirements are met. The sponsoring group will provide mentoring during the entire process which will help new groups build their capacity for future applications.
The next submission deadline is Friday, September 1, at 4:00 PM for the Fall Intake.
Operating expenses of organizations in their developmental stage* once per fiscal year for up to three years (within the first five years).
*Developmental Stage: the first five years of incorporation or where a significant mandate change has occurred causing similar vulnerabilities.
Funding is approved on a matched-grant basis.
Estimated Size of Grant
Funding request is at or between $1,000 and $10,000.