Foundation / Corporation
Grants to Texas nonprofit organizations for community benefit activities in Harris, Travis, and Walker Counties. Funding is intended for high impact projects in the focus areas of arts, conservation, education, and health, as well as other community needs. Special consideration is given to requests that address critical or basic needs, or that timing is of the essence.
Education: The greatest emphasis in the Foundation’s funding over the past twenty years has been in the areas of early childhood education, teacher training and development, dropout prevention and after school mentoring and enrichment programs. The Foundation will also consider supporting initiatives that strengthen school leadership, support college and career access, utilize technology to support instruction and advocacy efforts to improve policy and effect systems change.
Arts: Emphasis is placed on school arts programs that expose youth to the visual, musical and theatrical arts.
Conservation: As Texas’ urban areas continue to grow at such a rapid rate, it has become imperative to focus on maintaining a healthy and sustainable environment as well as provide a high quality of life for residents by setting aside and/or improving area outdoor spaces.
Many environmental educational programs also provide an excellent means for hands-on math and science learning that is critically needed in area school systems.
Health: The Foundation supports efforts to improve health outcomes through improved access to primary care, mental health services, hunger prevention, homeless prevention and domestic abuse. Many health programs supported by the Powell Foundation are focused on children in schools.
Other: At times the Foundation will make exceptions in funding requests outside the stated areas of interest.
The Foundation looks for innovators in their respective fields and supports organizations with strong board and administrative leadership that have the capacity to conduct meaningful and effective work. A strong balance sheet and broad financial support, as well as a record of successful outcomes are all essential for consideration. Organizations are evaluated on their planning capabilities and ability to leverage their strengths with other community organizations.
GrantWatch ID#: 160938
- The requesting organization must be tax-exempt.
- The Powell Foundation's Directors must be persuaded that the requesting organization engages in sound financial planning and solid management practices. The Foundation reserves the right at any time to request information on the destination of funds granted.
- Normally, the Foundation will not consider requests for building funds or grant commitments extending into successive calendar years.
- The Foundation Directors are interested principally in grants to be spent in the Foundation's geographic areas of interest, i.e., Harris, Travis, or Walker Counties, Texas.
The Foundation does not expect to support:
- Grants to religious organizations for religious purposes.
- Fund raising events or advertising.
- Grants to other private foundations.
- Grants to cover past operating deficits or debt retirement.
- Grants for support to individuals.
The Powell Foundation's Board of Directors meets twice per year, in the spring and fall. To be considered for the 2017 spring board meeting, submission of requests is encouraged between January 16th and March 15th. To be considered for the 2017 fall board meeting, submission of requests is encouraged between May 1st and August 31st. Submitting earlier in the grant cycle is recommended.
How to Apply:
Information on Focus Areas:
To ensure that you receive all communications, it is recommended to add email@example.com to your contacts or trusted senders list.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
For questions, contact Crystal Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-523-7557.
The Powell Foundation
2121 San Felipe, Suite 110
Houston, TX 77019
USA: Texas: Harris, Travis, and Walker Counties