GrantRegions Object ( [regions] => Array ( ) [is_initialized] => [error_messages] => Array ( ) [qm] => QueryManager Object ( [is_debug] => [conn] => mysqli Object ( [affected_rows] => 0 [client_info] => mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407 - $Id: 3591daad22de08524295e1bd073aceeff11e6579 $ [client_version] => 50012 [connect_errno] => 0 [connect_error] => [errno] => 0 [error] => [error_list] => Array ( ) [field_count] => 2 [host_info] => 172.16.38.157 via TCP/IP [info] => [insert_id] => 0 [server_info] => 5.5.5-10.5.18-MariaDB [server_version] => 100518 [stat] => Uptime: 3358752 Threads: 256 Questions: 567201010 Slow queries: 1318 Opens: 126185 Open tables: 2372 Queries per second avg: 168.872 [sqlstate] => 00000 [protocol_version] => 10 [thread_id] => 92830430 [warning_count] => 0 ) ) [has_regions] => 1 [state_names] => Array (  => Connecticut; ) [province_names] => Array ( ) [country_names] => Array ( ) [is_israel] => [territories] => Array ( ) [free_associations] => Array ( ) )
Grants to Connecticut school districts and LEAs for programs that assist students with limited English proficiency gain proficiency in reading and math with expectations that students will become high academic achievers. Schools have flexibility in designing their programs that are predicated on scientifically-based research teaching LEP children.
Grantees will carry out one or more of the following by using approaches/methodologies tied to scientifically-based research on teaching LEP children:
1. Develop and implement new language instruction educational programs and academic content instruction programs for LEP children at the early childhood, elementary and secondary levels;
2. Expand or enhance existing language instruction educational programs and academic content instruction programs for LEP children;
3. Implement schoolwide programs for restructuring, reforming and upgrading all relevant programs/activities relating to language instruction educational programs and academic content instruction programs for LEP children; and
4. Implement districtwide programs for restructuring, reforming and upgrading all relevant programs/activities relating to language instruction educational programs and academic content instruction programs for LEP children.
Required Uses of Funds:
1. Develop and conduct language instruction educational programs tied to scientifically-based research demonstrating their effectiveness for increasing:
- LEP children’s English proficiency in speaking, reading, writing and comprehending English; and
- Their academic achievement in the core academic subjects.
2. Provide and conduct professional development for classroom teachers, including mainstream program teachers, principals, administrators and other school or community-based organizational personnel, that is:
- Designed to improve the instruction and assessment of LEP children;
- Designed to enhance teachers’ understanding and use of curricula, assessment measures and instructional strategies for LEP children;
- Based on scientifically-based research that shows its effectiveness for increasing English proficiency and teachers’ content knowledge and teaching skills; and
- Of sufficient intensity and duration to have a positive, lasting impact on teacher performance.
Fiscal year 2016.
Phone: (860) 713-6786