Grants of up to $500 to California youth teams sponsored by a nonprofit organization or school for projects focused on education and wellness in eligible counties. Funding is intended for youth-led projects that promote sustainability and equity. Projects must take place in one of the following counties: Sacramento, Yolo, Placer, or El Dorado.
Respond to the theme of: “Youth-led community programs rooted in equity which support the development or education of youth.”
Involve youth in meaningful leadership and decision-making roles, so that they are regarded as resources, not just recipients of services.
Develop youths' problem-solving, planning, and other life skills to prepare them to take on adult roles and responsibilities.
Connect youth to their own communities so that they can become knowledgeable and contribute to their own communities.
Promote interaction and cooperation among youth, and between youth and adults.
Impact youth in the community, not just the project planners.
Eligible uses of funding:
"Materials" or "supplies" cover physical items you will most likely use up in order to complete your project.
"Equipment" includes items that will likely last beyond the term of the project (i.e. books, software, cameras, etc.).
"Travel" includes bus passes, auto rental, or other transportation costs within the eligible counties.
"Professional services" include fees paid for speakers, entertainers, trainers or other professionals hired as a part of your project.
"Communications/outreach" includes postage, printing, design, and other costs for producing publications or fees associated with marketing/media coverage.
Guidelines for your team:
- Your team is youth-led and involves youth as team members. Youth are defined as 10 to 19 years old.
- Your team includes supervision. Your team has an agency sponsor that is a nonprofit organization or a school. An agency sponsor is an organization that is legally recognized as a charity with 501(c)(3) certification from the government.
- GABY Grants Launch: March 3, 2023
- GABY Grants Close: March 20, 2023, at 5:00 pm (PST)
- GABY Awardee Acceptance Videos Due: April 8, 2023
- Final Showcase: May 20, 2023
- Final Reports Due: June 30, 2023
Estimated Size of Grant
Grants of up to $500 will be made. A grant request for the full amount of $500 will need to be very specific regarding the results of the grant and the cost.