Awards to California artists in eligible locations in recognition of outstanding artwork. The awards are intended to honor artists and performers within any artistic discipline. Awards will be granted based on professional achievement and artistic merit. Eligible applicants are artists who live, work, or actively create in Long Beach.
Eligible artistic disciplines include:
Multidisciplinary or Interdisciplinary Arts
Folk and Traditional Arts
Folk and traditional artists are tradition bearers: people who transmit what they believe, know, do and create with others who share a common heritage, language, religion, occupation, or region. These expressions are deeply rooted in and reflective of a community’s shared standards of beauty, values, or life experiences. Folk and traditional arts are, ultimately, passed on from one generation to the next and express collective wisdom, rather than a unique personal aesthetic.
Eligible applicants are required to meet the following requirements:
- Must be an active Long Beach artist who lives, works or actively creates in Long Beach (requires a physical presence in Long Beach i.e., business license, home or studio proof of residence or consistent paystubs). Please contact staff if you need further clarification
- Must receive payment and/or serious, critical recognition for some or all of their artistic services or products
- Full-time students - exception: post-grad student with extensive professional experience and/or serious, critical recognition
- Recipients of an Arts Council for Long Beach Professional Artists Fellowship within the last three annual grant cycles
- Active employees, board members or contract employees of Arts Council for Long Beach
- Applicants may only apply for one Arts Council annual grant category, Operating Grant I, Operating Grant II, Community Project Grant or Professional Artist Fellowship
Professional Artist Fellowship Workshop
Wednesday, June 21, 2023
Time: 4 to 6 p.m.
- Applications must be submitted by Monday, July 24, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
- Grant Panel: August 2023
- September - City Council passes 2023-2024 budget
- October-December - City Manager's Office drafts new contract confirms Percent for Arts funding and establishes reporting deadlines.
- January/February 2024 - Contract and first payment distributed
No new or revised application information will be accepted after the deadline.
Staff is available on a limited basis to offer guidance and clarification in preparing your proposal. Be sure to contact staff far enough ahead of the deadline to ensure you can be accommodated.
All artistic documentation must be submitted as one PDF file with embedded links to videos and audio files. If you need assistance with this please contact the Arts Council for technical assistance at least two weeks before the application deadline.