Grants to Texas nonprofit organizations and local units of government to enhance the lives of veterans and their families. Funding is intended to provide assistance to veterans and their relatives, as well as to address mental health and housing needs and needs related to Veterans Treatment Court.
TVC Grant Program Goals
Provide support, services, and resources to veterans, their families, and surviving spouses where they live to improve their quality of life and strengthen their connections and integration with their communities.
Responsively serve eligible beneficiaries to meet acute and chronic needs.
Provide grant-funded services and resources that have measurable, positive outcomes.
Ensure grant-funded projects are available to veterans, dependents, and surviving spouses across the state.
Ensure a diversity of grant-funded services are available within geographic regions.
Fund grant projects that support the overall and specific program goals approved by the Commission.
TVC grant programs:
General Assistance Grants: General Assistance (GA) grants include service categories that collectively support veterans, dependents, and surviving spouses who live in Texas.
Homeless Veteran Support
Pro-Bono Legal Services
Transportation Programs & Services
Veteran Small Business Support
Housing for Texas Heroes Grants: The Housing for Texas Heroes (H4TXH) Grant Program provides home modifications, repair, and weatherization for very low and/or low income veterans and surviving spouses who live in Texas.
Veterans Mental Health Grants: The Veterans Mental Health (VMH) Grant Program includes three service categories that collectively provide counseling and support to veterans and dependents, and surviving spouses who live in Texas to improve their quality of life, relationships, outlook, and successful integration with their communities.
Clinical Counseling Services
Peer Support Services
Service Dog Pilot Program
Veterans Treatment Court Grants: The Veterans Treatment Court (VTC) Grant Program supports eligible units of local government in providing services through Veterans Treatment Court (VTC) programs established under Texas Government Code §124.001-.006. Grant funding is intended to support rehabilitation for justice involved veterans to best prepare them for reintegration with their communities. Grant funding for Veteran Treatment Courts can be applied to reimburse the following VTC program expenses:
Substance abuse detection including, but not limited to: SCRAM, Breathalyzer, Urine/Blood tests, skin patches, ankle detection devices.
Bailiff (when providing services for the VTC).
Licensed Mental Health providers and/or counselors applying evidenced-based practices.
Life Skills and Community Integration training programs.
Financial Assistance for mortgage, rent, and utilities (electric, water, gas, garbage, internet, and cell phone service) for veterans while participating in the program
Transportation assistance (bus passes, ride-share & cab fare) while participating in the program.
Substance Abuse Treatment (inpatient and outpatient).
BIP/DV/Anger Management programs; and
other expenses that provide or support client services
Veteran County Service Office funding The Veteran County Service Office (VCSO) funding opportunity includes all the service categories listed in the General Assistance, Housing for Texas Heroes, and Veterans Mental Health Grant Program. Veteran County Service Officers are eligible to submit one application for any of the service categories and must serve as the project manager for the services, if awarded a grant.
The Texas Veterans Commission Fund for Veterans’ Assistance (FVA) grant program awards reimbursement grants to eligible charitable organizations, local government agencies, and Veterans Service Organizations that provide direct services to Texas Veterans and their families.
1. Organizations that are currently providing services under a renewed grant are not eligible for a second renewal and must apply under this RFA for the 2023-24 grant period.
2. Units of local government.
3. IRS Code § 501(c)(19) Posts or organizations of past or present members of the Armed Forces.
4. IRS Code § 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations authorized to do business in Texas; or
5. Texas chapters of IRS Code § 501(c)(4) Veteran’s service organizations.
Not Eligible to Apply:
2. For-profit entities.
3. Units of federal or state government, state agencies, colleges and universities.
4. Organizations that have not fulfilled and maintained all legal requirements to operate in the state of Texas.
5. Organizations that do not have current operations in Texas or a Texas-based chapter; and
6. Organizations that are currently providing services under a non-renewed grant during the 2023-24 grant period, have an opportunity to meet renewal criteria for a 2024-25 grant, and therefore are ineligible to submit applications for the same grant programs announced in this RFA.
7. Applicant organizations with contracts or agreements with the Texas Veterans Commission may be ineligible for Fund for Veterans’ Assistance grant funding requested for Proposed Projects involving the same or similar services as those funded under the contract. Applicants are responsible for ensuring their submitted application discloses any such contract. The Proposed Project must be clearly and sufficiently differentiated in the application from any
The application period for this grant opens October 2, 2023, and closes December 4, 2023. Applications must be submitted by 5pm (Central Time) on the closing date through the TVC Grants Portal. Only applications submitted via the portal will be considered for funding.
- September 2023: 2024–2025 Request for Application (RFA) and Application Webinar.
- October 2, 2023 – 5:00pm: Grant Portal and Application Window Opens for 2024-2025 FVA Grants.
- November 2023: 2024–2025 Request for Application (RFA) and Application Webinar.
- November 23, 2023 – 5:00pm: Last day to submit RFA questions to TVC regarding this RFA.
- December 4, 2023 – 5:00pm: All applications must be submitted. Application portal will close automatically at 5:00 p.m., Central Standard Time on this date.
- January 2024: Application Presentation Meeting. All eligible organizations may present their application to the FVA Advisory Committee in person or virtually. Travel expenses are not covered.
- March 2024: Funding Recommendation Meeting. FVA Advisory Committee meets to confirm funding recommendations.
- May 2024: Grant Award Commission Meeting. Austin, Texas. May 2024: 2024–2025 Newly Awarded Applicants & Renewed Grantees Webinar.
- June 2024: Notice of Grant Awards to be sent to funded organizations.
This is a reimbursement grant.
There is no matching requirement.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications in the TVC Grants Portal at least 72 hours prior to the announced application closing date to avoid technical or user-generated issues.
Organizations that are not up for renewal can submit a total of two applications across all grant programs. The applications must be in separate grant programs. Veterans Treatment Court Grants are exempt from this limitation.
Organizations may only be awarded one grant per grant program and a maximum of two grants across all grant programs during a grant period. Veterans Treatment Court Grants are exempt from this limitation.
FVA Grantee Training. Awarded Applicants will be required to participate in training. This training will be conducted remotely either via webinar or conference call, or in some instances FVA staff may conduct an onsite training visit at the Awarded Applicant’s facility. Training costs related to FVA Grant training do not need to be included in the budget for the Proposed Project.
- July 1, 2024: Grant Funding Period begins.
- June 30, 2025: Grant Funding Period ends.
- All funding awarded under this grant must be expended within the grant funding period of July 1st to June 30th.
- The Commission may, in its sole discretion, exercise the option to renew the grant for an additional one (1) year period.
All questions pertaining to this RFA must be submitted to email@example.com with “2023-24 [Grant Program inserted here] Question” in the subject line of the email. Answers are posted online twice a week on Wednesday & Friday afternoons.