Vermont Arts Council
02/15/19 5:00 PM
Grants ranging from $250 to $1,000 to Vermont individual artists to develop their skills and enhance their artistic careers. Funding is intended for one of two purposes: to improve the artist's craft or business. Grant funds can be used towards new projects that present rare and important opportunities for the artist.
Eligible expenses for such activities include, but are not limited to:
- Registration costs and required material fees for workshops, residencies, or master classes
- Fees paid to a marketing, legal, or business consultant
- Fees paid to a professional photographer or videographer for the documentation of work
- Subscription or membership fees for artists accessing new networks or online tools
- Travel, materials, or other costs associated with preparation for a career-advancing opportunity
Examples of eligible activities include:
- Advanced study of technique or practice with a mentor
- A professional conference to build business or artistic skills or knowledge
- Contracting professional services including photographic documentation of work, contract preparation or business incorporation, creation of accounting systems, developing e-commerce on a website, creation of marketing materials, etc.
- Aspects of new exhibitions or performances including marketing, planning, and some materials or rented space
GrantWatch ID#: 165229
Grant amounts range from $250-$1,000. Funds are limited; grant awards generally do not exceed $500. Higher levels of funding are considered if an artist demonstrates that the proposed activity will greatly advance their professional standing. Grant amounts are dependent upon federal and state funding and subject to change.
The proposed activities must begin no earlier than September 1, 2018 and end no later than August 31, 2019.
Who May Apply:
Individual Vermont artists who:
- Have been residents of Vermont for a minimum of one year prior to the application deadline, and are residents at the time the award is granted
- Are 18 years of age or older at the time of application
- Have submitted all required reports on any prior Council grants
- Meet all of the above requirements and are applying as a representative of an artist group
Who May Not Apply:
- Artists whose projects involve activities for which college credit is given
- Artists who have received any other Arts Council grant in the same fiscal year to support the same project
The Artist Development Grant does not fund academic tuition or projects that receive college credit; international travel; the purchase of permanent equipment; lobbying expenses; fundraising events; the same project twice in the same fiscal year; or events that do not meet with the Foundation's access and nondiscrimination policy.
Online application opens June 1, 2018
Deadline is August 15, 2018
August 15, 2018; November 15, 2018; and February 15, 2019. Applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. on the day of the deadline. An artist may apply to any of the three deadlines, but the proposed activities must begin no earlier than September 1, 2018 and end no later than August 31, 2019. Projects cannot be funded retroactively.
A 1:1 cash match is required. Seventy-five percent of the grant amount is paid on receipt of a signed contract; the remaining twenty-five percent is paid on receipt of the final report.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Inquiries about using the online application system should be made by sending an email to Meredith Bell, email@example.com, or by calling 802.828.3292.