Foundation / Corporation
North Star Fund
09/15/17 5:00 PM
Grants of $25,000 per year to New York City nonprofits operating within the five boroughs for programs that support community work towards social change. Applicants are highly recommended to schedule a phone conversation with the program officer prior to applying.
Funding may go to programs that work to ensure economic justice, end structural racism or other discrimination, protect civil liberties, or promote safe and livable communities. The purpose of this grant will be to provide a deeper investment of general support in effective organizations that have already shown a strong record of success in their community organizing work.
Organizations must have:
1) A demonstrated base building strategy, stable leadership, and solid vision for sustaining membership's involvement.
2) A race, gender, class analysis that is built into their work.
3) A demonstrated strong organizing strategy.
4) One or more campaigns underway with a demonstrated track record and victories.
5) A clear orientation towards movement building and collaboration.
6) Solid infrastructure for sustaining its work, including a fundraising plan that can sustain the organization in the coming years.
7) The time and ability for three organizational leaders (ideally the executive director, a campaign organizer, and a seasoned member leader) to fully participate in the peer learning program.
Strong preference will be given to organizations that:
1) Are current or former North Star Fund grantees.
2) Can clearly demonstrate how a Movement Leadership Grant would contribute to moving the organization's work to a higher level.
3) Do not have access to other leadership development training and resources.
GrantWatch ID#: 167806
$25,000 per year for two years
Organizations must have 501(c)(3) status or a fiscal sponsor with 501(c)(3) status, and operate within the 5 boroughs of New York City.
North Star Fund will consider applications from both:
- Organizations with budgets under $800,000
- Organizing projects with budgets under $800,000
Organizations that have received a Movement Leadership Grant in the past, and have experienced significant transitions (including changes in leadership) are eligible to apply again for this program. Returning applicants must demonstrate commitment and capacity to participate in the peer learning program and meet all of the eligibility guidelines.
- Direct service organizations, i.e. food pantries, soup kitchens
- Individual efforts
- Private or public schools, colleges, and universities
- Hospitals and clinics
- Statewide, national, or international organizations
- Travel expenses for individual speakers or conference participants
- Activities to elect specific candidates for public office
- Fundraising events such as galas and walk-a-thons
- Feasibility studies, capital fund drives
- Organizations that do not comply with federal, state, or local equal opportunity statutes
Applicants that have received a North Star Fund grant within eight months are not eligible.
Due to the competitive nature of our grants, the Fund highly recommends scheduling a phone conversation with the program officer prior to beginning your application.
The next deadline to apply is Friday, September 15, 2017 at 5:00 PM. Applications will be available to submit beginning in August.
Grants are awarded approximately three months after the application deadline.
Application Instructions: https://northstarfund.org/grants-programs/apply-for-a-grant/application-instructions
Check Eligibility: https://northstarfund.org/grants-programs/apply-for-a-grant/check-your-eligibility
More on Organizing projects: https://northstarfund.org/grants-programs/apply-for-a-grant/organizing-projects
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online Application: https://northstarfund.submittable.com/submit
Jennifer Arieta, Program Officer
North Star Fund
520 Eighth Avenue, Suite 1800
New York, NY 10018-6656
USA: New York City; New York