Foundation / Corporation
The Principal and Principal Financial Group Foundation
09/15/17 - For Strong Communities (for Des Moines applicants only)
Grants starting at $5,000 and $10,000 to Delaware, Iowa, Nebraska, Washington, and Wisconsin nonprofit organizations in eligible communities for community benefit programs and operational support. Focus areas include financial stability, economic and workforce development, arts, culture, and community betterment.
Eligible communities include:
- Iowa: Des Moines, Cedar Falls, Mason City and Ottumwa
- Appleton: Wisconsin
- Nebraska: Grand Island
- Washington: Spokane
- Delaware: Wilmington
The Funding Source offers the following types of Community Grants:
- Financial Security: The Funding Sources supports efforts to improve financial stability in urban areas where it has a business presence. This focus area is for Des Moines applicants only.
- Talent-Focused Education: The Funding Source partners with select schools and educational organizations that help create a pipeline for workforce needs and talent. This focus area is for the U.S., excluding central Iowa.
- Domestic and Global: The Funding Source supports non-Central Iowa organizations globally and domestically in the areas of Financial Security, Talent Focused Education, and Strong Communities where it has a significant employee and business presence.
- Strong Communities: The Funding Source supports investments that lead to better communities in which to live, work and play. This includes arts, culture and economic development programming. This focus area is for Des Moines applicants only.
GrantWatch ID#: 168005
- For Des Moines applicants, or if the grant is related to a national program, the request must be more than $10,000.
- In all other U.S. cities, the annual grant request must be at least $5,000.
- Major gift applications are for $100,000 or more.
To be eligible to apply, follow these guidelines:
- Your organization must be an IRS registered 501 (c) 3 with a non-private foundation status of 509(a)1 or 509(a)2.
- You can’t request 75% or more of your general operating expenses.
- Your request needs to be used for operating expenses rather than special events like dinners and fundraisers.
- Athletes or athletic organizations
- Conference or seminar attendance
- Courtesy or goodwill advertising in benefit publications
- Fraternal organizations (police, fire associations, Greek letter societies)
- Individual K-12 schools or PTA
- Organizations that directly or indirectly discourage services based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or national origin
- Political parties, campaigns or candidates, partisan political organizations
- Private foundations
- Sectarian, religious and denominational organizations, except for specific programs that are broadly promoted, available to anyone, and free from religious orientation
- Service Clubs or organizations (Kiwanis, Rotary, Optimist) raising money
The following webcast provides details on new strategy, guidelines, technology platforms, and focus areas. You will need to register before you watch it.
Application deadlines for 2017 annual grants:
- Financial Security: May 12
- Talent Focused Education: June 15
- Domestic and Global: June 15
- Strong Communities: September 15
- Major gift applications ($100, 000 or more) for all focus areas will be accepted May 12, June 15, and September 15.
Applicants will be contacted within 8 to 10 weeks of receiving the application.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Financial Security applications from Des Moines:
Talent-Focused Education online application: https://grantsconnect.yourcause.com/#!/principal/programs/Talent_Focused_Education
U.S.-Based locations outside of Des Moines application: https://grantsconnect.yourcause.com/#!/principal/programs/U_S__Based_Locations_Outside_of_Des_Moines
Strong Communities grant application: https://grantsconnect.yourcause.com/#!/principal/programs/Strong_Communities
Major Gifts grant application: https://grantsconnect.yourcause.com/#!/principal/programs/Major_Gifts
For more information, contact:
Mandi McReynolds, Community Relations Manager
McReynolds.Mandi@principal.com or email@example.com
USA: Delaware: Wilmington ; Iowa: Des Moines, Cedar Falls, Mason City and Ottumwa; Nebraska: Grand Island; Washington: Spokane; Wisconsin: Appleton