Florida Department of Education
Award to a Florida teacher or educator to recognize outstanding contributions to the quality of education. Please note that participating districts and institutions must select their winning teacher through an internal application and review process advance of the state award deadline. Teacher of the Year candidates shall have a track record of exceptional gains in student learning.
This program engages the educators in a year of professional development through the Florida Teacher Lead Network, connects them within an alumni network to further their skill set, and provides opportunities to work with educators at events like the Governor's Summit.
Each piece is an integral part of the Teacher of the Year Program and contributes to the goal of training this talented group of teachers to become teacher leaders and improve outcomes in classrooms beyond their own.
GrantWatch ID#: 168395
The following full-time district educators are eligible for nomination:
- Classroom teachers in traditional and charter public schools - Grades Pre-K through 12
- Guidance counselors
- Media specialists
- Speech/language pathologists
- Special area teachers (e.g., exceptional student education, foreign languages, music)
- Other professional educators performing instructional support services with students (e.g., school psychologists, school social workers and instructional coaches)
- Adult education teachers
- Postsecondary vocational/technical education teachers
School personnel whose major responsibilities are administrative or supervisory are ineligible.
Nominations should be made without regard to race, age, sex, national origin, religion or disability.
Prior to February 8, 2019, participating districts and institutions must select a candidate who will represent the district or institution as the Teacher of the Year. The method and materials used to select the candidate may vary according to the district. The candidate selected should be willing and able to attend the Teacher of the Year Roundtable and Gala held in Orlando.
Each district and/or participating institution may nominate only one teacher.
Timeline for Selection of the 2020 Florida Teacher of the Year:
- October 2018 Applications are distributed to superintendents, eligible institutions and program coordinators.
- February 8, 2019 Applications must be submitted online by clicking 2020 Florida Teacher of the Year Application. All documentation will be submitted electronically as part of the online application. Submissions received after February 8, 2019, will not be considered.
- March 1, 2019 The department begins communication with District Teachers of the Year.
- March – April 2019 State selection committees review nominees.
- May 2019 Announcements of the Teacher of the Year Finalists are made.
- May – June 2019 State selection committee interviews finalists in Tallahassee.
- July 2019 Florida Department of Education Teacher of the Year Roundtable, Gala and announcement of the 2020 Florida Department of Education Teacher of the Year
For more information on the program: https://www.floridateacherslead.org/fltoy-program/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit supporting documents to:
For more information about Florida’s Recognition Programs, please contact:
Abbey Stewart, Program Director
Educator Recruitment & Recognition
Turlington Building, Suite 126
325 West Gaines Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400