Grants to Virginia nonprofit organizations for law-related projects. Eligible organizations are those whose mission statements align with one of the following focus areas: law-related education, access to justice programming, and rule of law programming. Consideration will also be given to the sustainability of the program and the organization.
Others (see text field entitled "Additional Eligibility Criteria" for clarification)
Additional Eligibility Criteria
Grants are available to support law-related projects in any part of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Organizations must provide a valid IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter.
The Foundation does not consider the following for funding:
- Organizations without a valid IRS 501(c) determination letter, or the equivalent exemption status
- Grants to individuals
- Capital expenditures
- Duplicate or overlapping services
- Event sponsorships, such as the purchase of tables, tickets, advertisements, receptions, alcoholic beverages, or entertainment
- Projects intended to influence legislation or regulatory agencies
- Programs sponsored by government agencies that are properly part of the agency’s regular activity
- Deficits in programs that were not previously funded by the VLF
- Honorariums and/or speaker fees
- Political organizations, political action committees, partisan political activities, or individual campaigns whose primary purpose is to influence legislation
- Foundations that are themselves grant making bodies
- Grants for loans, operating deficit reductions, the liquidation of a debt or general support
Please submit your Virginia Law Foundation Grant Application no later than March 15. Final decisions are generally rendered by June 30.
Receipt of applications will be acknowledged by mail. The applicant will be notified of the determination, and, if approved, grant payments are normally made by July 31, or 30 days in advance of a program.
A proposal may be submitted from an independent organization or a collaborative effort of multiple groups, but one (and only one) organization must be designated to receive the grant, administer the project effort, and report on the use of Foundation funds. The organization administering the project must meet all eligibility requirements referenced herein. Please note that an invitation to submit a proposal, or a VLF request for additional information regarding an application, does not guarantee grant approval.
Please submit two copies to the Virginia Law Foundation at the address below. In addition, please submit one pdf copy of the entire application to email@example.com.