Foundation / Corporation
Houston Young Lawyers Foundation (HYLF)
03/15/19 - Postmarked; 5:00 PM CST for electronic submissions.
Grants ranging from $500 to $10,000 to Texas nonprofits for programs that benefit the residents of the Greater Houston Area. Funding may be used to support athletic and educational youth programming, legal aid and the furtherance of legal education through institutes, research, publications, and forums.
The purpose of the Houston Young Lawyers Foundation ("HYLF") Grant Program is to support, promote and encourage charitable organizations and activities in the Houston-Woodlands Sugar Land metropolitan area as defined by the Office of Management and Budget (the “Greater Houston Area”). Projects must promote the purposes of HYLF, either in the area of service to the public or service to the legal profession.
HYLF specifically provides funding for specified projects to be undertaken before the end of the 2019 calendar year related to:
- The furtherance of justice and legal education through the sponsorship and encouragement of legal research, publications, institutes and forums.
- The support of legal aid programs for the indigent or working poor and the optimization of aid grants from governmental and private sources.
- The support of youth through athletic and educational forums.
- Any other activity that will promote and aid an improved system for the administration of justice and the improvement of the Bench and Bar in the Greater Houston Area.
Grants may be awarded in one of the following forms:
- Award of the full amount of funds requested.
- Partial award of the amount of funds requested.
- Award of funds on a matching basis wherein HYLF will match funds up to a designated maximum amount in proportion to the grant recipient’s ability to raise new funds from other sources.
HYLF prefers to fund new projects, or projects that will be substantially and substantively changed or enhanced through the application of HYLF funds.
GrantWatch ID#: 169690
The minimum amount that must be requested for any individual grant application is $500. The maximum amount that may be applied for in any individual grant application is $10,000. Partial awards may be granted. Grants awarded typically range between $3,500 and $5,000.
HYLF prefers to fund projects of limited duration. Grants will not be awarded to projects that require funding in excess of two years from implementation to completion. Grants will not be made to pay the costs of projects that will be completed before May 2019.
Applicant organizations and funded charitable projects must serve and benefit individuals in the Greater Houston Area.
HYLF prefers to fund projects from non-profit organizations that are recognized as such under the Internal Revenue Code.
Grant awards must be administered by the applicant organization. Grants will not be made for the sole purpose of payment to third-party organizations.
HYLF funds may not be used to supplement or extend an organization’s operating budget.
HYLF will not consider grant applications seeking funds to support ongoing projects (unless the funds will be used for a specific piece of such project where HYLF is the key provider of funds for such piece), general fundraising campaigns, capital campaigns, or dinners. If grant funds are sought for a specific piece of a larger project, the grant application must make it clear for which purpose grant funds would be utilized.
HYLF prefers not to fund:
- Galas or gala-like events, testimonial or fundraising events (such as luncheons or dinners), or advertising in programs or publications.
- Organizations that in turn make grants to others.
- Activities whose sole purpose is promotion or support of a specific religion, denomination, or church.
- Honoraria for guest speakers or panelists.
- Memorials for individuals.
- Salaries or contracts for staff-type positions or needs.
- Purchase of office equipment or other fixed assets.
Grants may not be made to fund projects outside the Greater Houston Area, however, the organization's service area may reach beyond the Greater Houston Area.
Additional considerations can be seen at: https://static.spacecrafted.com/d097b7d20a8e416c86d702f28d3a587b/r/ef6552fb493c48b5b5d07bad5e80d196/1/2018_2019%20%20HYLF%20Grant%20Guidelines.docx%20FINAL%20.pdf#page=2
The HYLF Grant Program is conducted on an annual basis. The schedule for the 2018/2019 program is as follows:
- Grant applications are due postmarked by Friday, March 15, 2019. Electronic submissions are due by 5.00 PM CST.
- The HYLF Grants Committee will review eligible applications and recommend a slate of grant recipients to the HYLF Board of Trustees for approval at its regular meeting in April 2019.
- The Board of Trustees will select grant recipients at its regular meeting in April 2019.
- The HYLF Grants Committee will issue letters announcing grant award winners in May 2019.
Applicants may submit more than one proposal.
A project timeline or schedule of activities and detailed and complete budget information for a proposed project must be presented as part of a grant application.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For additional information, please contact Tara Garlinghouse at (281) 381-6931 or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Application packages should be emailed to Tara Garlinghouse or mailed to:
Grant Review Committee
Houston Young Lawyers Foundation
P.O. Box 61208 Houston,
USA: Texas: Greater Houston Area (The Houston Woodlands/Sugar Land metropolitan area)